X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spontaneous Kilt Nights

I just wanted to share a funny story. I've been fairly sure that I would have to go to Philadelphia to find other kilted gents, for a kilted pub crawl. Delaware is too small, pop. about 800,000 and very conservative. But then I should be careful what I ask for, I just might get it. :o

I have been out pubcrawling in my kilt 2 of the last 3 Fridays. Three weeks ago I was in the Richmond District in San Francisco. I come out of an Irish pub at last call, look around and behold, there's a Scot in a kilt coming out of the pub next door. We had a short chat, but I was off to chase a lass I had met.

I ended getting out of bed late and wearing my kilt on the flight from SF to Philadelphia. I got a lttle bit of razzing from the guys working there, but only positive remarks from the ladies. Thanks TSA, US Air and Frank from Utilikilts, who says he always flies kilted. 8)

So last night I went out in Wilmington, Delaware, for the First Friday art loop. I was at the largest gallery in Wilmington, out smoking a cig, and behold, along comes a scot, who now lives in Delaware, wearing his kilt. He's an artist, and wore it for the opening of the exhibition. It turns out we have mutual friends, so we all ended up making a night of it, dinner and pub crawling our way through the metropolis-lite that is Wilmington. By the end of the night, at least one of the women in our party was suggesting that her husband get a kilt.

So the first Wilmington kilted pub crawl has passed, and I'll see what I can do about setting up a future one. According to my new found drinking buddy, a few guys showed up at a local pub kilted for Burns night. So I have a place to start.

Cheers to serendipity!
    Les
    And you may ask yourself, Well how did I get here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty nice. I wish something like that could happen here, but, unfortunately, most folks here haven't a clue what a kilt is beyond Braveheart, and only see it as a costume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem precisely, Bubba! The Irish Club I belong to is having the annual Ceili tonight, and I can virtually guarantee that I'll be the only person there (aside from pipers) in a kilt. *sigh*... gotta make some converts!

Onward through the fog! - Dakotan