X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaning beer from a kilt

I got excited about the upcoming Texas Scottish Festival & Highland Games and volunteered for a 2 hour shift at the beer stand (I figured that's about the extent of my talent; being able to pour a glass of beer). However, I got to thinking, what happens if I spill beer on my kilt, how I would clean it. I hate to rescind my offer as volunteer but I also want to make sure I don’t ruin my kilt. Any suggestions as to cleaning beer from a kilt (wool) or how to mitigate the damage to the kilt by spilled beer?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think beer will "damage" wool at all. If it were me, I'd just rinse the affected area out thoroughly, let it try, and be done with it. But that would be for random minor spills.

If I were going to work a beer stand where I might have repeated and ongoing risk of getting beer on my kilt, I'd probably just don a canvas kilt apron for that stint at the beer stand. That way, when I was done, I could just remove it and go on with my day without any further worry. They sell WWII surplus ones at WhatPriceGlory for $18, although I'm sure there are numerous other places you can find them as well. In a pinch, even a regular household apron (or even a more manly tool apron from the tool department) would work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tobus, an apron is the way forward. At home I have a man's apron (blue pinstripe) with a bib. But in an emergency I use a tea-towel horizontally and tucked into my waistband.

I would think that you should expect that at least one of the barrels will be 'lively'. Spray will be inevitable. Protection is better than cure, so have a barrier layer.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I don't think beer will "damage" wool at all. If it were me, I'd just rinse the affected area out thoroughly, let it try, and be done with it. But that would be for random minor spills.
    That's precisely what I have done in the past. It works perfectly.

Slainte!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step #1: Remove kilt
    Step #2: Wring kilt over beer glass
    Step #3: Re-don kilt
    Step #4: Finish serving beer tent patron
    Step #5: If patron complains about fuzz in his beer, remind him that wool adds natural fiber to the diet
    Step #6: Duck thrown beer glass
    int:
    Last edited by MNlad; 22nd April 13 at 06:20 PM.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the advice....my priorities at the beer stand will be: 1). protect my kilt at all cost and 2). serve the hordes of thirsty patrons. Hope I don’t have any conflicts in these priorities…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've got your priorities in order. Just add "have some fun" to the mix. To keep in the spirit of things, you could stick a kilt pin in your apron and replace your sgian dubh with a bottle opener. Enjoy.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNlad View Post
    Step #1: Remove kilt
    Step #2: Wring kilt over beer glass
    Step #3: Re-don kilt
    Step #4: Finish serving beer tent patron
    Step #5: If patron complains about fuzz in his beer, remind him that wool adds natural fiber to the diet
    Step #6: Duck thrown beer glass
    int:
    I like this and will have to remember it the next time I volunteer at an event. Although plastic solo cups should not hurt too much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post

If I were going to work a beer stand where I might have repeated and ongoing risk of getting beer on my kilt, I'd probably just don a canvas kilt apron for that stint at the beer stand. That way, when I was done, I could just remove it and go on with my day without any further worry. They sell WWII surplus ones at WhatPriceGlory for $18, although I'm sure there are numerous other places you can find them as well. In a pinch, even a regular household apron (or even a more manly tool apron from the tool department) would work.
    I agree with Tobus . Canvas kilt apron was my first thought , especially if you happen to be serving beer in the lightweight plastic Solo cups , they collapse easily under a heavy grip or tip over easliy on a table if bumped .
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the worst happened and your kilt was really wet with beer then pouring some clean cold water over the same area will remove it, and you will hardly be any wetter.

Having hosed down a couple of kilts - one whilst I was still wearing it, and also stood under a shower fully clothed - oh and gone swimming in one - water does not seem to damage kilts. A gentle spray seems to be most effective.

To shrink, wool requires heat, agitation and soap. The surface texture can be altered by brushing when wet, but it is fairly sturdy stuff.

I would recommend a totally waterproof, plastic or plastic coated apron as first defence. That should cope with most accidents as long as it is long enough.

Anne the Pleater :ootd: