X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henderson Clan History and heritage (Fordell / Fife)

Hello all! I am a new user to the site and I'm looking for assistance in some Henderson heritage. I have been digging into my family history and have traced the Henderson name back to the Fordell Castle. From what I can tell my Henderson name traces back to the lowlands. Can anyone provide any other history or info for the Henderson of Fordell / Fife?

I have names and dates that can be provided if that helps at all. I would like to gather as much history as I can. Also looking forward to purchasing a tartan for the Henderson clan.

I live here Atlanta Georgia and just north of us in Blairsville Ga I am told they have the annual Highlander games that is a tribute to the Henderson Clan? Anyone know about that?

Looking forward to speaking with you guys!

ehenderson31809@gmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey cousin! You might wanna check out our Clan's website: http://www.clanhendersonsociety.org/ (In my possibly biased opinion, it's one of the nicest, most professional clan websites I've ever seen!)
    The entire site is very interesting, but for info specifically related to what you're looking at, go to the History tab at the top of the page, then the Henderson Branch History located on the right hand side. There's detailed information on each of the branches of our Clan.
    Here's the website for the Blairsville games. http://www.blairsvillescottishfestival.org/index.html It appears that Clan Henderson was chosen as the Honored Clan for 2013. That's pretty cool!
    As for myself, I'm also descended from the Fordell line. There is a Barony attached to the Fordell line, and our current clan chief is descended from the Fordell line as well. Even further back along that line was a Henderson that held Lochmaben Castle during Robert the Bruce's campaign. (The Bruce waited out a winter during the war with our ancestor at Lochmaben.) If you have any more questions, let me know, or consider joining our Clan Society and getting in contact with our appointed genealogist!

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacHenderson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello boss,

Welcome to XMarks from the other side of the Atlantic in Norfolk, England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Bosshog from Southampton UK. Excellent post by Machenderson above with some useful info.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from California!
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also of note: The famous bard Robert Henryson is from the Fordell line as well! (He's a great umpteenth grandpa of mine, probably of yours as well!) Blind Harry, famous for his poem on William Wallace, is supposedly of the Fordell line, though if I remember correctly, there's no concrete evidence of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to xmarksthescot from one of the U.K. based rabble. The name Henderson is very close to my heart as my Granny was a Henderson. Apparently the Henderson (or Hendryson) who founded the Fordell line (through marriage with the heiress) came from Dumfrieshire and was almost certainly of the family that supported 'The Bruce'. The Hendersons were said to have been the resident clan in Glencoe and the MacDonalds took over the Chiefship of the clan through marriage when the clan name became MacIan, although Hendersons still held important rolls within the clan structure. When the name MacIan became anglicized it became Johnson, and I don't think it's just coincidence that many Johnsons and Hendersons look alike. Also 'The Bruce' was aided by the MacDonalds and their allies in his struggle with the MacDougals, and it is my guess that this family of Hendersons were transplanted to Dumfries and Galloway by a grateful King. I'm currently drooling over a kilt in the muted Henderson tartan so I hope I'll soon be wearing it with pride.
    The Kilt is my delight !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello fellow Henderson Clansman.....have you looked at the Henderson Clans Facebook site? https://www.facebook.com/groups/clanhendersonsociety/
    "REMEMBER!"