X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic Croft homespun tartan

Does any a the rabble have experience either owning a kilt or sewing a kilt in with the Homespun material from Celtic Croft?
    http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/homespun-tartans.html
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an economy from Croft in the homespun Hunting Scott. I really like the fabric but am not impressed with the cut of the kilt as the pleats seem too narrow and it doesn't seem to hang as well as my others. I think it was made overseas. Good folks to deal with, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a phillabeg made by Celtic Croft in " brown watch".
    It is my renfair kilt and I couldn't be more pleased.
    The fabric has a rustic look and for me, the construction was spot on.
    If you go this route for a more "historic" look, specify no pressing to the pleats. You will be happier with the result.

For the OP,
    The weave is very slightly looser, you will see the occasional slub and/or snag. For me this was a plus.
    It has a pleasant hand, and the color is good.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of reasons for this question, my wife wants to get me a great kilt and her self a Arisaid. I was thinking about trying my hand at sewing my own kilt. I was just wondering if it would be good material for a first timer.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Great Kilt and 2 economy kilts (the Great Kilt and one economy in MacNeil ancient, the other economy in Ulster Red, but I digress) in the homespun wool from Celtic Croft. Love all of them! I'm still trying to figure out the care instructions, the tag says "machine wash gentle" and the next line "dry clean only" so I'm confused there. I haven't gotten them dirty enough to be an urgent issue yet. Otherwise, love them. They're a heavier wool, good for cooler weather, but still great kilts. (See what I did there?)

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to duke_19_62 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see a close-up pic of some of the Celtic Croft homespun tartan if anyone can oblige????

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to keith_b For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 Celtic Croft kilts. One is my Ren Faire philabeag in Robertson tartan, this kilts tag says make in USA [I assume sewn up by the CC folks] it has a very soft hand, feels lighter than my other kilts maybe 10-12 oz. It is a looser weave but very nice for its intended purpose. The other is in Spirit of Scotland, this kilt was made in Pakistan, it is not pleated to anything [doesn't look bad just different], this material feels a lot stiffer than the philabeag, also the extra material [pleats] in the fell have not been cut out. I have hand washed the philabeag a few times with no problems. For what I paid for the two kilts I am pleased with them but I have moved on to better quality kilts. If I were in the market for a great kilt or another philabeag would I buy from cc again? Yes. Hope this helps.
    Rondo

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to rondo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Care Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by duke_19_62 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out the care instructions, the tag says "machine wash gentle" and the next line "dry clean only" so I'm confused there.
    Sorry for any confusion — If you have a front-loader I think it would be ok to machine wash, but we recommend hand-washing or dry-cleaning. I personally don't like the result from more than a few washings — the fibers stand up and get itchier. Dry-cleaning keeps the fabric feeling softer and smoother.

In any case, I don't wash or dry-clean my own kilts very often — I just put them out on a line on a sunny, breezy day to freshen up. Even ren-fest mud can often just be dried and brushed off.
    Joseph Croft FSA Scot
    Owner/Kilt Maker

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/

Whiskey to a Scotchman is as innocent as milk to the rest of the human race.
    Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Celtic Croft For This Useful Post: