X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sunday Post

Thanks guys, but I did not seek to do this interview. The paper tracked me down, and now I am pleased that it did!

Because they wanted to get this piece into print within a few days, they 'lifted' the photo from my Photo Album (http://albums.imff.net/hamish) which has 62 images. I just wish they had chosen one that had not been taken during my ghastly, but thankfully brief, 'long hair' phase 18 months ago!

The original thought was that the paper would ask me to take some photos exclusively for their use, but time was against us doing that.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish
    Hi Hamish

I've just shown my wife the article. She used to write a lot for the Sunday Post. In fact still does from time to time. Good piece and very positive. How did they find out about you? (Daft question - EVERYONE knows about you.)

Do you know, Al. I am not sure how they tracked me down! I received a 'phone call a couple of days ago from Kirsten (who wrote the piece). She said something about their researchers finding me on The Net - but the interesting fact was that she knew almost more about me than I do myself! Full name, address, 'phone number, etc., etc. She asked if she could do the interview there and then, and we were chatting happily for almost an hour. She thought then that the item would appear next weekend, but an E-mail greeted me this morning to say that it was in today's paper. Being a Scottish publication, I had to drive up to Gatwick Airport after breakfast to buy a copy there, as our village newsagent would not have heard of it, let alone have stocked it!

One thing - football? When did you last go to a football match kilted!

When did I last go to a football match at all?!! To be honest, I'm pretty sure I never have! But, at least, if I did I could be appropriately kilted! That knowledge allows me to sleep soundly at night.

Al'
    Ham,

To be honest it's very easy to track folk down. I now confess, I knew your address long before you gave it to me. (Nothing sinister - I'm no stalker!). When I mentioned the Sunday Post story to my wife, her response was 'Why didn't you tell me that Ham's thrown out all his trousers? I could've done the article myself'!!

I repeat that the article was a good read and very positive. Sunday Post has a good circulation in Scotland and the North of England. Well done.

As for football. You can wear one of your kilts to cheer on Sunderland in the semi final of the FA cup!

Al'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know, Al. I am not sure how they tracked me down!
    You don't know how they tracked you down Ham?

It would be a pretty poor journalist who wouldn't be able to find you. A BBC video short. Mentioned on Graham Norton's TV show. Featured on every single kilt related site on the internet!

Anyway, well done Hamish, you are the perfect ambassador for kilt-wearing men everywhere.

Though, unlike yourself, most of us haven't forsaken the trouser completely, (and I think that's what makes you particularly interesting to the media) perhaps we may all become stars one day!

Just waiting for my agent to call now!

p.s. a quick search on the BT DQ site reveals your name, address and phone no. and a mysterious christian name initial 'P'.

Hmmm, Percival perhaps?

Meaning - Percival, Celtic. "companion of the chalice." Urbane, pompous, audacious. He is charitable at heart but offends many by a display of false pride.

No, it can't be!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin

Do you know, Al. I am not sure how they tracked me down!

p.s. a quick search on the BT DQ site reveals your name, address and phone no. and a mysterious christian name initial 'P'.

Hmmm, Percival perhaps?

Meaning - Percival, Celtic. "companion of the chalice." Urbane, pompous, audacious. He is charitable at heart but offends many by a display of false pride.

No, it can't be!
    Hi Martin

Whereas Percival may be a very appropriate first name for our dear, dear Hamish, I have it on good authority that the 'P' stands for Peter. Now if I remember my bible correctly, Peter means 'Rock' which is also very appropriate. Hamish is after all the rock on which we stand secure.

Al'

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al'
    Hi Martin

Whereas Percival may be a very appropriate first name for our dear, dear Hamish, I have it on good authority that the 'P' stands for Peter. Now if I remember my bible correctly, Peter means 'Rock' which is also very appropriate. Hamish is after all the rock on which we stand secure.

Al'
    Aw shucks, Al., is NOTHING sacred?!!

Curiously, my late father's name was Percival (the chaps in our family have all been "Something P" followed by "Hamish" for generations!

By the way, what is the "BTDQ" site?
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Martin

Al'
    Aw shucks, Al., is NOTHING sacred?!!

Curiously, my late father's name was Percival (the chaps in our family have all been "Something P" followed by "Hamish" for generations!

Only you, Ham, only you!!! Martin and I debated the other night as to whether you were Christened Hamish or not. Not that I would ever dare doubt you. I suggested it was probably a family name and I was right. It's a crackin' name, Ham. (Mind I like Peter as well). I think we should all add Hamish to our names by deed poll.

Come to think of it, Hank is also a crackin' name as well.

BTDQ - not sure. The BT is probably British Telecom and the D might be for Directory. Not sure what Q means.

Al'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Ham, please excuse my shorthand.

I meant the BT directory enquiry website at www.bt.com

DQ being the abbreviation used within BT (at least when I was employed there many years ago) for directory enquiries.

Incidentally, this website is a far better, and cheaper option that the new expensive and confusing 118 service, which I steadfastly refuse to use!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is a crackin' name?
    Beannacht Dé,
    Hank
    "...it's the ocean following in our veins, cause its the salt thats in our tears..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only you, Ham, only you!!! Martin and I debated the other night as to whether you were Christened Hamish or not. Not that I would ever dare doubt you. I suggested it was probably a family name and I was right. It's a crackin' name, Ham. (Mind I like Peter as well). I think we should all add Hamish to our names by deed poll.
    Actually, as a child, I hated the "Hamish" name and refused to use or acknowledge it. Apparently, our neighbours at some time owned a Sheepdog which they called "Hamish". I therefore believed that to be a Hamish one had also to be a dog! (Don't you DARE say a word, Al.!!!!)

As an adult, I have preferred the name, and have used it rather than "Peter". I beg you not to adopt it, Al. Think of the confusion within these forums! Besides, the status of my "Hamish" would be diminished if every Tom, Dick, Harry and Al. were to use it willy-nilly!!!!

It certainly is. I suggest one only finds it in the USA - I don't know of any "Hank"s over here, apart from the fact that my mother used to keep several in her knitting bag!! Whilst we are on the subject, Al. is a damned fine handle to carry, too.

BTDQ - not sure. The BT is probably British Telecom and the D might be for Directory. Not sure what Q means.

Al'
    Thanks for that (and you too Martin). I have never used the BT website - but have just taken a quick peek at it. I'm surprised that they can legally give out so much information, but I suppose it is no more than one can find in a Telephone Directory at the Public Library. However, one still needs the surname.

Take care,
    Ham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by highlandtide

What is a crackin' name?
    'cracking' - an english colloquialism meaning splendid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast