X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assassin'S Creed 3 Video Game

Kilted soldiers during a mission involving General Edward Braddock.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which Highland regiments (if any) were posted and saw action in Colonial America? If memory serves correctly the Blackwatch participated in the French and Indian War and the Revolution and I seem to recall a unit of Frasers. Am I off base? Many thanks.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are those three at the front wearing gas-masks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought to see a post about video games on XMarks (especially not in the Weapons as kilt accessories sub-forum).

Is this a traditional video game or a contemporary video game?

Seriously, though, are these things supposed to be historically correct???
    Last edited by BCAC; 18th June 13 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not big into the AmRev, I have dabbled but that has been years ago and I portrayed a loyalist civilian. So some of the history escapes me. I can check with some of my buddies on the LHW forum, they might know since they do mostly Early American.

As to the accuracy, as a reenactor I can't stand the Assassin's Creed games. My wife drug me to an anime convention a while back and I agreed to go only if I was in my parade armor (I find the fact that my kit looks better than most of the costumes amusing). What irritated me though is that I kept getting asked if I was a Templar (the first game in that line takes place in the crusades), even though anyone could see that my heraldry is nothing like theirs. So I blame those games for increasing the misinformation on history that has been circulating. But what I like isn't what others like and that's the way it should be.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir Did, that is exactly why I choose not to attend most "Rennaissance Faires." The archaeology student in me gets his dander up.

As to the game, "Assassin's Creed" is a franchise of fantasy video games based around the premise that the player is playing the avatar's ancestors through various time-travelling/telepathis means.

This third installment is based during the French and Indian War through the American Revolution. My nephew is a fan of them. He's a competition gamer (yes, people compete playing video games). He was playing it and I snapped a photo.

No, they are supposed to be beards but my photo is a bit fuzzy.

Historical accuracy is certainly to-be-desired with this franchise. Arms, armour, heraldry (where applicable), costumes, and characters are a bit anachronistic. If you want period-correct video games, then let me knkw when you've made one. I haven't ever seen one that was spot on but would like to.

I am not sure why it was moved, either. Video games would seem to count as media...and asking a question about the various units during an historical period would seem to be more of a history question than a weapon-related question. Oh, well. No biggie. I'm still curious about which Highland units were statined in America during the late colonial period. I would love to learn more of the history.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's not the best there is but it would be a start to check wiki for the regiments. It's a bit of work to figure who was were and when, but at least the black watch appears to have been there. So the kilts were there.
    I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Thanks, Carlo.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    Sir Did, that is exactly why I choose not to attend most "Rennaissance Faires." The archaeology student in me gets his dander up.

As to the game, "Assassin's Creed" is a franchise of fantasy video games based around the premise that the player is playing the avatar's ancestors through various time-travelling/telepathis means.

This third installment is based during the French and Indian War through the American Revolution. My nephew is a fan of them. He's a competition gamer (yes, people compete playing video games). He was playing it and I snapped a photo.

No, they are supposed to be beards but my photo is a bit fuzzy.

Historical accuracy is certainly to-be-desired with this franchise. Arms, armour, heraldry (where applicable), costumes, and characters are a bit anachronistic. If you want period-correct video games, then let me knkw when you've made one. I haven't ever seen one that was spot on but would like to.

I am not sure why it was moved, either. Video games would seem to count as media...and asking a question about the various units during an historical period would seem to be more of a history question than a weapon-related question. Oh, well. No biggie. I'm still curious about which Highland units were statined in America during the late colonial period. I would love to learn more of the history.
    Oh, I've been to my share of Ren-fairs, but I always choose reenactments any day (though I must admit that I sometimes mix the armor pieces of my various kits in a somewhat anachronistic fashion for shows that I get hired for when accuracy isn't a factor). I used to do some competition gaming back in my teens, but never went very far since I was a snob as to the games played being complete fantasy with almost no historic tie ins (mind you that I started reenacting at 17, and studied history on my own since well before).

Oh, and my friends that went into the computer programming field have asked me to help with their goal of making a video game of the War for Scottish Independence back in the late 13th and early 14th centuries, and I accepted. But they must have gotten too busy with their lives to continue with their pet project since they haven't been in contact for over a year or so. So who knows, an accurate game might just happen somewhere, sometime.
    Last edited by Sir Didymous; 18th June 13 at 08:46 PM.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very interesting, Sir Didymous. I would totally play the heck out of that kind of a game...too bad it fell to the backburner.

That's a valid point you brought up. Accuracy versus fun. Sometimes accuracy is the rule, sometimes its the exception. When I was a lad I went to a couple of Renn-Faires here in California (including one at Cuesta College outside of Morro Bay). I saw very little in the way of accuracy and it was kind of a turn-off. Perhaps I judge much too harshly.

It sounds like a very fun but very expensive hobby and probably has to be a big labour of love. A lot of people seem to do a lot of research in the reenacment community. I've seen some demonstrations that were absolutely excellent, some not-so-much. There are some great groups that cover the Civil War (US) but are there any that do anything other than American History on our side of the pond?

When you mix your Highland kit into it do you aim for a specific period or do you sometimes pick a getup that "looks cool?" I would imagine that it all depends on the engagement (pardon the pun) and your inclination that day.

Thank you for your insight, my friend. I enjoy learning.
    The Official [BREN]