X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hunting MacMillan Large Sett Kilt

I've meant to get some photos of my new Newhouse Highland kilt up for some time, but things have been pretty busy. This past weekend, though, we attended the Bethabara Highland Games in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and my wife got several nice photos.

This kilt is a 6-yd knife pleat made of heavyweight tartan custom-woven by Dalgliesh. It's woven in Wilsons of Bannockburn's colors and I purposefully made the sett huge. Matt pleated it to half-setts (the gold line on black appears twice per sett) to the line.

As always, Matt's work is exceptional. The kilt fits wonderfully, the stitching is meticulous, and he worked very hard to make sure that the fabric was exactly what I wanted. These low-yardage, heavyweight fabric kilts are my absolute favorite.

A couple photos:

First up is a compilation of images which lead me to decide on making the sett very large. I wanted something that would really stand out. While the WOB colors are a bit of a change in themselves, I decided that making the sett very large would look both vintage and bespoke.

Next, a photo of the front of the kilt, showing the apron. I'm holding my daughter, Lillian.

Now, a pleat shot:

I filled in for a piper friend who had a scheduling conflict and had been asked to play in honor of those who had passed away during the preceeding year. Our own Turpin Ballard was among those remembered. Here's photo of me behind the grandstand waiting my turn:

Finally, a photo of me piping:

I really can't recommend Matt highly enough. His customer service is exceptional and he truly is a master kilt maker. If you're looking for something really special, it's hard to beat a Newhouse Highland kilt...
    Last edited by davidlpope; 15th May 13 at 06:39 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A damned fine kilt, David. And I am ashamed to admit that I didn't evenknow you were a piper. Marine, piper, attorney at law . . . what a guy. (From "Marine" it's all downhill anyway! )

But the best was the photo of the little elf and her dad from behind. There was something especially fine about that. Lilian has grown since I saw her last.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great David and you wear it so well, congratulations on the acquisition. I have recently placed and order with Matt, for a 6 yard knife pleat using a custom weave from Dalgliesh and curiously I believe the tartan has a natural large sett
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great looking kilt and an attractive tartan. I have a couple Dalgliesh custom weaves... Love their material

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one fine looking kilt. Matt does great work and the large sett really makes it stand out. Those hose are a great match also..btw where did you get them.
    A kilted Celt on the border.
    Kentoc'h mervel eget bezań saotret
    Omne bellum sumi facile, ceterum ęgerrume desinere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice David, I'm bordering on jealous ! . Hopefully, I'll be able to see it in person at Stone Mountain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Just...WOW!!!

Matt is a master craftsman!
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 15th May 13 at 09:08 PM.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely stunning , you have a good eye and good taste , the large sett is positively beautiful .
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David, thanks for posting those photos. The kilt looks fantastic on you. You are well turned out, as always. Nice to see Lilian enjoying the games, as well.
    Cheers,
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, David! You look very well turned out and your new kilt, courtesy of Matthew Newsome at New House Highland, is absolutely gorgeous. I loved seeing the photo of my good friend, Bruce Macpherson of London (UK), wearing his Macpherson kilt in the 'hunting' tartan and an enlarged sett. I am pleased that his style of kilt (amongst the other fine examples) with the quite stunning, enlarged sett served as an inspiration for yours. Bruce's kilt is actually quite old and has been passed around his family throughout the years. He has a Chattan kilt that also has a very large sett that he wears for black tie events.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 16th May 13 at 05:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast