X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    kiltedwolfman
    I've enjoyed many a kilted day going just aout as cusual as Ron is in his pics above. The kicker is that the kilt is after all is said and done just clothes. Now there are many folks who would argue otherwise and they are most welcome to thier personal oppinion. We should remember however that how we class the kilt as clothing is based on personal beliefs and arguing over the correctness of personal beliefs is better done elsewhere. If we take all "belief" and emotion out of the picture, lose the semantics and at the very least agree that kilts are clothes we can open up a very wide range of possibilities for thier presentation. My kilts hold a cultural tie but I also enjoy that I am not so constrained by that tie as to limit myself in how I wear them. Bottom line from my viewpoint is that it's your kilt and if you like how you look then run with it.

Before I armour up here are a few pics just to show I'm not talking out of my tuther end,
    DSC01610.jpgIMG_0601.jpgIMG_4620.jpg
    And I guess one to show that I can look a little less casual too
    IMG_0404.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to kiltedwolfman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hi Adempsy, and let me throw my 2 cents worth in.

I think that you've accomplished the "jeans look", in a great way. And while I'm more in favor (my personal taste) of a more traditional look, I think that you have accomplished your goal.

I also think that your wearing of "the kilt" and how you chose to do so, is reflective of your age, just as my preferences are (probably) a result, and reflection of mine.

I don't find your "look" offensive, and think that you look absolutely age appropriate. I'm also of the of the opinion that as time progresses you're taste will probably change, and as a result your chosen "look" may change too.

Not as in "change to the better" but simply "change". After a few years it's easy to get board with "a look". It's the same reason that I don't have long hair any more either. Not that I never will again, but I just got tired of it.

The fact that you like wearing your kilt (s) and do, is in my opinion a great step towards helping to keep the tradition alive. I'm willing to bet that whether or not you know it, your style is showing other people (in your age group) that kilts are cool, and any one wearing a kilt (casual or traditional) is (normally) at the front of the pack, and self confident.

This thread kind of reminds me of "Pakistani kilt vs. hand made Scottish kilt" conversations. I started off with a few Pakistani kilts, and then migrated into a closet full of Scottish hand made wool kilts. Things just changed....It could be, that some time in the future your taste will change too.

On my front, and in my book, I'm giving you two thumbs up. Personally I'm still trying to find some shoes that will go well with a "casual look" for me, with out making me look like some who's not "age appropriate".

BTW, I like wearing my kilts (casual look) with kilt hose, flashes, sporran, and either a T-shirt, a rugby shirt, or a short sleeve knit shirt. Most of the time I tuck my shirt in. I just think that it looks better on me that way.

I have black "jungle boots" and all the rest, but wearing them with my kilts just isn't me. I think that boots are a cool look on others, but it's just not me, or my style.

As a result, that's why I'm still looking for "my casual look", and so I'm in search of the right kind of shoes that don't make me look like a kid, or a mercenary....LOL...

Keep on kilting, and having fun. I think that your doing great.

Stan L.
    What Stan says works for me.

I'm coming up on 49 but feel 29 so I wear it like I stole it (or is that how I drive?)

Wear what makes YOU happy!
    Moggi

Greenock born, Dunfermline raised with a Murray for a mother and a Bruce for a wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adempsey10 View Post
    I think the differences in taste are generational, as some have mentioned. We could have this discussion about any fashion style, kilted or not and find the same differences. I've never been a big fan of tucking shirts into pants unless its for formal or business attire. As I've said though, this my ultra casual attire; my 'cool' clothes, if you will. When it comes to going to school, I have a rule about wearing a tucked in dress shirt with a tie and nice pants. I do that out of respect for the academic institution, something other students lack these days (I'm a bit of fuddy-duddy about that stuff).

I agree that the kilt is tradition that is sacred to a country of people and to others in general as a cultural heritage. I dont want to bring disrespect to it but I like the idea of a kilt becoming everyday attire for men. Its more comfortable to wear, it looks good, its fun. I do very much want a nice kilt suit, but as I've said, I'm not a big fan of the Prince Charlie look but I do love the 21st Century tweed kilt suit look (such as these http://21stcenturykilts.com/article/...05e6f21ffa8262).

Here's an example of my 'dressy' kilt outfit (less the shoes, they were all I had on hand at the time).

Thanks for the candour of your replies, all opinions are appreciated.

Attachment 11658
    ' Sounds like a reasonable and well-balanced healthy attitude to me. In fact, your wearing a shirt and tie to school may even be seen as down-right "conservative" these days but as a retired university professor myself, I appreciate it. Indeed, it does show respect. I only wish some of my faculty colleagues felt the same in their own dress. It seems to me it is all a matter of "appropriate style" for the circumstances/occasion and what you have expressed here seems perfectly reasonable and perfectly respectful to me. Good on ya'
    Last edited by O'Searcaigh; 21st May 13 at 10:07 AM. Reason: correct misspelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a daily Kilt wearer, mostly cotton and cotton blend, I agree with your post 100%. The Kilt can be dressed up as in a Black Tie Event or dressed down for gardening, sports, hiking, fishing, painting the house,
    pulling weeds, or having a beer with a friend. I have noticed that if you place a Tuxedo next to a Prince Charles with full Kilted Attire, there is no question that the Kilt Rules the day. It is Casual Dress all the way
    up to Formal Dress with the same garment. What other western garment can have that range and tradition ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    "Kilt as jeans"?.... like this:

Dale, I have never seen any photo of you where you did not look terrific. You definitely have a natural ease and comfort with style many others struggle to achieve. Thank you for providing such great examples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a RSCDS dancer, I go through lots of socks. Where do you get your socks that feel great and do not wear out quickly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

4) While I like the colour scheme, your "dressy" kilt outfit doesn't really succeed because to my eye, it looks like you're just missing some kit - A sporran and hose to be precise. At least with the "cool" look, it's obvious that you're going for a indie rock/hipster vibe. In that pic it looks like you're still saving up to complete a look. Some hose and flashes in a complimentary colour and your black sporran form the other photos would take that outfit up a few notches quickly. Actually, given the wristbands and belt a brown day sporran would be even more killer.. Nice kilt there by the way.
    I agree about the look, at the time it was unfinished. I didnt even own a Sporran at the time. I also didnt have any appropriate shoes or hose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    "Kilt as jeans"? I have no problem with the concept. But sartorial ideas of what to wear with jeans, at home or privately, vs. out in public, may differ. Would I, or do I ever, wear an untucked t-shirt with jeans? Sure. At home. Never, ever out in public.

The absolutely most casual I'd ever get with a kilt in public -- on a very hot day -- would be something like this:

This is a great look. I could see myself in something like that. The idea of tucking my shirt into anything still seems wacky to me but I dig this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well said Dale and a fine example your picture above sets.
    +!

As always, you look the right gentleman, sir.

That is my usual mode of dress whilest kilted, as well. A classic-yet-modern look. Very stylish. Very natural.

Great example of poise, We must share a pint when I am in SF next.
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 14th June 13 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Spelling errors and clarity. M.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    We must share a pint when I am in SF next.
    Absolutely!!
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast