X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I kind of live in all three opinion worlds. All of my real kilts are in my clans tartan (traditional view) but, I like a few of the non clan tartans and may buy one some day ( the "wear what you want" idea).

However, I may buy a kilt in the Macdonald tartan and wear it to honor that great clan. If I study the clans history, I would be able to tell people who ask, about all the awesome things the Macdonalds have done.

Through my studies, I have learned that per 45, particular tartans were not "assigned" to a particular clan and wearing what ever tartan you like is the most traditional thing you could do.

To each their own.
    Somebody ought to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I (supposedly) have ancestral ties to the House of Boyd (maternal grandfather) and Clan McIntyre (paternal grandmother) but my paternal surname is of Irish descent. It doesn't much matter to me because I don't really care for the Boyd or McIntyre tartans anyway. Neither do I care for the Edzell (U.S. Navy) or any of the other "legitimate" connections I supposedly have. What kilts do I have? Scottish National, (I like the green, red white and blue) County Tyrone (Irish origin of my surname and its a great looking maroon tartan) and Black Watch weathered (I like the subdued earthy tones). Given some people's curiosity about tartans, I think it is good idea to know what tartan your kilt is and be ready with an explanation of why you are wearing it -- even if it is because "I like it" or even "this is the one I could afford." This whole thing can get way out of hand. Wear what you like, are comfortable in, and have a good story to tell if anyone asks (some will, most won't). Most of all -- have fun; life's too short to take it all that seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The is what my Chief (James C A Burnett of Leys) says, "I am often asked as to who can wear our Burnett tartan. There is much mumbo jumbo about wearing tartan, and I always advise people if they like a particular tartan then wear it whatever the surname! It is flattering when someone wishes to wear Burnett tartan and I am pleased to permit it with my blessing as Chief."

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to A Lenape Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will raise my glass to the Burnett Chief, then. You are blessed and fortunate to have a gracious leader.

I have no idea what our Chief's (John Shaw of Tordarroch) position is on the matter.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Psynister;1171863]One of the questions that I've had in getting started wearing kilts is which tartans should someone wear.
    1. If you don't have a legitimate claim to it, don't wear it.

I am totally a #1 answer kind of guy.
    You are doing more than just donning a kilt, you are representing your clan, your forefathers; you are about to tell your stories and talk about what part of the Highlands or Lowlands your ancestors lived in. Yet they are not your clan, they are not your forefathers, they are not your stories, they are not your ancestors.
    Stay away from tartans that are not your clans, if you do not have a tartan you can find a plethora of tartans that do not have any clan connections. Wear those.
    I do not mean to be harsh, just what are you going to do when I run up to you because you are wearing
    Clan McFarlane's tartan?
    I will be happy to meet you and tell you all about my family heritage and just how I go the last name Goldstein and not McFarlane. I will tell you when my side of the family came to America and why, I will also ask you if we know the same people and introduce you to my wife and 4 kids. Then what? You are going to look at me and say "Oh Wil, I am sorry I am not a McFarlane. I just like the colors of your familys tartan......"
    LOCH SLOY!
    Cheers, Wil

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    My clan's tartan is a bit expensive as it is not one of the most common ones. So, until I have the cash to spring for a higher-yardage kilt in that tartan I stick with a generic tartan (Holyrood) I don't have the "collect them all" mentality that some chaps do. I am not knocking it and that's for each person to decide for himself.
    There is that side of things, too. And even in the very common tartans (such as my Buchanan), in the different variations I stated earlier, many may cost more because they aren't "stock" tartans (such as my Buchanan Hunting Ancient.) But do shop around between the various mills. Some stock more tartan variants than others (dance, hunting), some carry different color pallets (ancient, weathered), and some specialize more in medium weight versus heavy. You'll likely get a better price from the weaver that mainly stocks your chosen criteria, than you will by special ordering something from a mill that typically doesn't produce your chosen colors or weight.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Lenape Scot View Post
    The is what my Chief (James C A Burnett of Leys) says, "I am often asked as to who can wear our Burnett tartan. There is much mumbo jumbo about wearing tartan, and I always advise people if they like a particular tartan then wear it whatever the surname! It is flattering when someone wishes to wear Burnett tartan and I am pleased to permit it with my blessing as Chief."
    A real gentleman and I was delighted to talk with him when fishing his water on the Dee. Never discussed tartan, however, as he was more interested in the prospects of catching a salmon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unixken View Post
    There is that side of things, too. And even in the very common tartans (such as my Buchanan), in the different variations I stated earlier, many may cost more because they aren't "stock" tartans (such as my Buchanan Hunting Ancient.) But do shop around between the various mills. Some stock more tartan variants than others (dance, hunting), some carry different color pallets (ancient, weathered), and some specialize more in medium weight versus heavy. You'll likely get a better price from the weaver that mainly stocks your chosen criteria, than you will by special ordering something from a mill that typically doesn't produce your chosen colors or weight.

Weight, mill, colour pallate, single or double width, composition---all of these things affect the cost.
    The Official [BREN]

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason, you are most fortunate in being an American, and even more so in being a Texan. The Texas Blue Bonnet tartan is one of the most attractive ones around, and any Texan can wear it.
    For me in South Africa, there are no district tartans at all, apart from one called South Africa that does not look anything like our current national flag and has no official standing.
    I have designed a whole series of tartans for various parts of South Africa, and registered one called Spirit of 1994 which is (to my mind) a proper rendering of the national flag colours.
    Sadly, none of them has yet been woven, nor have the four I designed for my family.
    But as for a Psynister tartan, I would say go for it.
    If it is sufficiently distinctive (not copying an existing sett) you should have it woven and wear it with pride.
    At least nobody would be able to say you are stealing another clan’s tartan.
    Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike_Oettle; 27th May 13 at 12:59 PM.
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    As mentioned above, there is a diversity of opinion on the matter. Fr. Bill sums it up nicely and there have been countless threads on here about this very topic that you may wish to review.

Auld Scotland Tartan
    Patriot Tartan
    Flower of Scotland Tartan
    Scottish National Tartan
    Scotland Forever Tartan
    Caledonia Tartan
    Highland Rose Tartan
    Isle of Skye Tartan
    Pride of Scotland Modern Tartan
    Royal Pride Tartan
    Help for Heroes Tartan
    Capercaillie Tartan
    Amnesty International Tartan
    Your alma mater or religious denomination may have a tartan also.

And it none of those are to your liking, you can design your own and have it woven for about the same price as having a kilt made in an existing tartan. You can call it the Psynister Tartan and so it shall remain forevermore.

That way when someone asks, "What tartan is that?" You can give them a proud answer that tells them a little bit about who you are and to what you'd like to show loyalty rather than, "I think its McChicken but I'm not really sure...who cares?"
    I looked at 'Auld Scotland red' by Marton Mills thinking that it was a universal tartan then realised that it's identical to the 'MAXWELL' clan tartan!
    Last edited by freddie; 4th June 13 at 01:24 PM.
    The Kilt is my delight !

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast