X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smith Clan Connections

Hi All,

here's a question I couldn't find an answer yet.

Usually the name Smith is associated with the Macphersons and Clan Chattan.
    Also a connection with the Macdonalds is often mentioned.
    But sometimes I also read about a connetion to the MacGregors and MacFarlanes but only about the fact without any explaination or historical facts.
    Does anyone know more about it?

Please let me know

Tom
    "A true gentleman knows how to play the bagpipes but doesn't!"

Member of Clan Macpherson Association

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you will find that a name as commn as Smith was found all over the British Isles and most often are not connected with one another. Smith means 'maker of-(insert what you fabricate).' Usually that was a blacksmith although not always. In the past, before surnames were familial as they are now they often described an occupation or region of origin (i.e. Cooper, Galloway).
    Smith is probably the most common name in the Anglosphere.

Btw, there are a couple of "Smith" tartans. They are all really nice looking.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom,

I would put the Smiths very firmly in with the Macphersons and Clan Chattan. I have no knowledge of a connection to the MacGregors, MacFarlanes or the MacDonalds.

Regards

Chas

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Chas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with Chas when discussing Scottish Smiths. I have seen the name associated with MacPherson and (by extension and independently) with Chattan.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure of the accuracy, but this is an informative link. I am a Smith also...

http://www.scottishorigenes.com/content/scottish-smith%E2%80%99s-mccowan-cowan-or-gows-disguise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MacGowan...this is very interesting indeed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Smith (Gow or MacGowan) is a very popular and widespread surname in Scotland and the UK in general, you really have to do your research and pinpoint where in Scotland your Smith ancestors hailed from. Almost every Highland clan had their 'Smithy,' whether they worked in iron or metal, they served a very vital role within the clan structure and were often held in high regard.

Just because your surname is Smith, doesn't necessarily mean you are a Macpherson or your family were apart of the great Clan Chattan Confederacy of Clans. Your Scottish ancestors (Highland I'm assuming) could have lived in, let's say, Argyllshire and maybe perhaps there they were more closely associated with the Campbells or Macleans, purely based on the fact of where they lived in Scotland.

I would highly encourage you to conduct further genealogical research to see where your Scottish ancestors originated from in Scotland. This may give you a more accurate and realistic connection to a particular Highland clan or perhaps a Lowland family. The Smiths (Gows) who have traditionally been long associated with the Clan Macpherson and ultimately the Clan Chattan are descended from a single family and progenitor ("Gow Cromb") amongst the Macphersons and for this reason, our Chief, Sir William Alan Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie, as well as previous Macpherson Chiefs, have approved the surname of Smith as an associated family name with the Clan Macpherson.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 26th May 13 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Kyle. The name is probably the most common name in the English-speaking world.

Correct me of I am wrong, and not to take this too far off topic, but wasn't the "Smith" tartan created out of this very confusion? It is a gorgeous sett!
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree too.

I was just curious why I found especially these names (MacGregor, Macdonald and MacFarlane) in literature and in several tartan finders.
    But as it seems nobody knows more concrete facts about it.

Yes, the sett is great and I enjoy wearing it (only in ancient colours at the moment but...:-)

Thanks and Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, given my druthers if I were a Emith, it would ge my first choice over one of the larger clan tartans associated with Smith. Just my tuppence although all of the other tartans you have listed are nice, too. Very nice sett in every pallate that I've seen.

I am partial to deep blues and greens and rich reds, though. I am not a fan of my clan's (Shaw) tartan rendered in ancient colours (most other tartans [like Smith] look great in it, go figure).
    Weathered and muted schemes look good, too. Nearly every tartan looks fabulous in muted and weathered pallates.

The Official [BREN]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast