X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hose and Shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    Give hose a try. They will really step up your kilt wardrobe a lot. Your kilts will thank you, mate.
    If I'm wearing a kilt, I'm wearing hose and that includes my RKilts. Footwear varies based on level of formality, but always leather shoes. And yes, I do have and wear Ghillie Brogues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually wear hose, pulled up, with flashes or garters, even when I'm wearing Doc Marten steel toe shoes with flames on them:

The only real exception is if I'm wearing Canadian army parade boots, which I have worn with hose that are folded once, then scrunched the rest of the way:

If you're just wearing sneakers, I don't think you would need hose and could just go with regular socks, but it's not a look I've ever tried. If you're wearing boots, I think scrunched or folded hose balance the visual weight of the boots against bare leg. Both of these are very informal, streetwear approaches.

If you're wearing leather shoes, even casual ones like Docs, then pulled up hose compliment them nicely, IMHO. You can wear the hose without flashes or garters by just using elastics to hold them up and this gives a bit more contemporary look.

Wearing pulled up hose is a bit more polished and, for lack of a better word, "kilty." I think the OP (Alan) mentioned he wanted to wear the kilt to the university and is a grad student, so I think hose and leather shoes would be smarter for that. Perhaps something like this, with funky Fluevog brogues:

Last edited by CMcG; 25th May 13 at 08:14 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    If you're just wearing sneakers, I don't think you would need hose and could just go with regular socks, but it's not a look I've ever tried.
    I agree with that.

If you're wearing boots, I think scrunched or folded hose balance the visual weight of the boots against bare leg.
    I never considered that before, and I do believe you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by adempsey10 View Post
    I'm wondering what everyone wears for shoes and hose, if any hose at all. I'm trying to figure out what kind of shoes look good with hose for a casual setting; Hiking boots, runners, converse, Docs or anything else along those lines. Do you skip out on the hose when not wearing dress shoes or brogues? Right now I dont have any hose and I'm not sure if I like them but many here have said, along with my wife, that I should try them out. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. If you are willing to share pictures as examples, even better.
    As far as hose are concerned, I always wear them -- pulled up, with garter ties -- when I'm wearing a tartan kilt and, so far, have never worn them with my 5.11 Tactical TDKs. Pretty much all I wear are from House of Cheviot, via Matt Newsome at New House Highland:

http://www.newhousehighland.com/

As for footwear, there are all sorts of possibilities I think can look good for casual wear, depending on the circumstances. Here are some of the ones I wear.

Timberland boots:

Brogued ankle boots:

Timberland chukkas:

Dinner in San Francisco: These black wingtip brogues from Rockport are actually steel-toed work shoes.

Some "smart casual" 5-eyelet shoes from Neil M, via Orvis:

Even laceless slip-ons, while certainly nontraditional, can look decent in a casual setting:

Last edited by Dale Seago; 25th May 13 at 10:05 AM.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Dale Seago For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the only time I dont wear kilt hose is when I wear my Mountain Hardwear ElKommando kilts. For that I can get away with my merino wool socks with boots or Simple Clogs. Otherwise Ive bought an abundance of utility kilt hose, the less expensive ones from WBSocks on EBay. Ive gotten 3 pair of heavy weight burgundy and two of heavy weight charcoal with about 80% wool. For summer I have two pair of Lovat green and two of gray in lighter weight 50%wool. Even if I just go to the store, walk to work or head to the pub I wear a kilt and kilt hose. Dont always use garter ties, just elastic bands under the turnover top. I just feel a bit better dressed this way, even on my walk to work where no one actually sees me till I get to work, and Im not wearing out my real nice kilt hose saved for dress.

Shoes run the gamut of nice brown and black wingtips for dress, brown natural tan wingtips for the pub and casual kilt dress, suede Rocksports for my walks to work(just a plain suede leather tie up shoe), 8 inch tall Wolverine boots and my Simple clogs.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Sandia Park, NM, USA (near Albuquerque, NM)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear hose with my kilts -- even with my contemporary ones. I wear Ghillie Brogues for fancy dress occasions, Oxfords for less fancy, and hiking boots when I'm hiking or otherwise. I tried scrunching down the hose with my hiking boots but it doesn't work for me -- so they're always up where they should be and almost always with flashes (don't own any garter ties, yet).

Rob.
    Rev. Rob, Clan MacMillan, NM, USA
    CCXX, CCXXI - Quidquid necesse est.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. (Thumperian Principle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're wearing boots, I think scrunched or folded hose balance the visual weight of the boots against bare leg.
    Just to add to my comments in my post above, I don't think this will ever be part of "my look". But I don't think it looks "bad". In fact, it's something you see so often now in pubs, at athletic events, and at Scottish gatherings that it may actually be becoming "traditional" as what might be called "ultra casual" attire.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dale Seago For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    Just to add to my comments in my post above, I don't think this will ever be part of "my look". But I don't think it looks "bad". In fact, it's something you see so often now in pubs, at athletic events, and at Scottish gatherings that it may actually be becoming "traditional" as what might be called "ultra casual" attire.
    Yes, the "boots with scrunched/folded hose" look has become fairly common in informal settings. I've only done it a couple of times, because I usually prefer a smarter, more traditional look, but it has its place.

To clarify, this seems to work better with boots that are higher than ankle height and chunkier. I have seen people wear their hose up with that type of boot and also wear regular athletic or hiking socks, which is fine too, especially if there are practical reasons involved. I just prefer the overall, informal, slightly edgy, combination of hefty boots and scrunched/folded hose.
    Last edited by CMcG; 25th May 13 at 12:38 PM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps something like this, with funky Fluevog brogues:
    I've got two pair of Fluevogs, my favorite w kilt being the double monk straps. I'll be looking for these.
    Money is flat and meant to be piled up.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedjoss For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my Camo kilt (from Celtic Croft) I wear my 5.11 Tactical Trainers w/ black hose scrunched down. You may have to scroll down to see pix.
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...as-kilt-74766/
    "A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye"
    -Koloth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=CMcG;1172057]I usually wear hose, pulled up, with flashes or garters, even when I'm wearing Doc Marten steel toe shoes with flames on them:
    QUOTE]

How do you find the hose on a hot sunny day? Seems like there are many way to dress up and down hose as their are for kilts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast