X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In truth, not often, but there have been a few occassions when it has come in handy. I suppose that a sgian does help round off ones kilt attire if its worn in any sort of traditional manner, so to that extent, it could be said that I use it nearly every time I wear the kilt.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear my sgian dubh when kilted but mine is not sharpened. I know most men feel that a dull knife is a useless piece of steel but I have a reason. I have 2 friends that are in the local police department. I no longer own a truck and must travel by public transportation everywhere I go. My police friends advised me against ever carrying a sharpened knife while on public transportation. It is an easy way to get arrested.
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't count the number of times that little blade has come in handy, from cutting tent ropes, to opening packages, to slicing sausage for a quick lunch. Then again, there's always a folder in my pocket when I'm not kilted, and a Leatherman close at hand.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thorpe View Post
    I always wear one when kilted and use it far more often than you might imagine. For example, at a Burns Supper last winter, when one of the servers had difficulty getting a hold on a hot steam-table tray, a simple pry-and-lift with the little black knife quickly saved the day and kept the hungry line moving along nicely. I could cite several similar instances.
    As Red Green says, "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
    I can add another Burns Supper experience: when our performer of "Address to a Haggis" called to say he'd been in a car accident and couldn't make it, I had to step in. Two items saved the day: my iPhone, with its Robert Burns app (text of all poems included), and my sgian dubh, for the ceremonial carving of the haggis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When not kilted I always have a sharp folding knife in my pocket and use it for something almost every day. When kilted I always wear a sharp sgian and use it as often. I live on a rural property and always seem to need a blade for something from opening a bag of feed to whittling a toothpick. I would feel ill-equipped for the day if I did not have one.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems to come up every so often. I was raised that an adult man just about always had a knife about his person, and it was a major step toward adulthood when a young man passed his Scout knife safety proficiency, and was usually given a pocket folder. So when bifurcated, I carry a small pocket folder, and when kilted I carry a functional sgian dubh. For those of us used to carrying a blade of some sort, it seems that there is always some minor task that the knife makes easier. Cold Steel does make several very functional sgian style knives, including a lock back folder that when open is a sgian style knife. Since only the handle shows, I can carry that in my hose, as well as in my pocket when in trousers.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sgian dubhs are nice. They look good with a highland outfit and I own (and have made) a number of them. That said I think a pocket knife is a far, far more useful tool than a sgian dubh. I have a trusty Swiss Army knife "Camper" model that I currently carry that does everything a sgian dubh can plus a lot more without worry about it being legal/appropriate where I go. Also for hiking, dancing, and other physical activity I have found the tightness of my flashes garter's required to hold my sgian dubh in place to be uncomfortable.

I wear them when "dressing up" (though to highland games I always bring my "sgian don't" bottle cap opener as it is far more useful ) but on the whole I find it is just easier and more comfortable to put a pocket knife in my sporran and leave my sgian dubhs at home.

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 31st May 13 at 07:18 AM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my mind, there's a lot of snobishness about this sgian dubh thing like "I'd feel naked without one", "no point in carrying a knife if it isn't sharp", "use mine all the time", "even if I'm not kilted I have a knife in my pocket".

I only wear a sgian dubh in evening attire, therefore relatively rarely, and have NEVER needed to use it as a knife. I don't have any use for a knife in my daily life, except for eating, since I left the Armed Forces.

I bought a good one though and have great pride and pleasure in owning and wearing it when it completes my evening attire.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    To my mind, there's a lot of snobishness about this sgian dubh thing like "I'd feel naked without one", "no point in carrying a knife if it isn't sharp", "use mine all the time", "even if I'm not kilted I have a knife in my pocket".
    I don't find any of those to be any more "snobbish" than "I only wear mine with evening wear". We very seldom have a consesus here, and IMO that's a good thing.

I don't agree at all with the "if drawn, it better draw blood" thing mentioned earlier, but that doesn't make it wrong for everyone. I found the origin of the tradition interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often find a use for my sgian dubh, but I'm also the kind of guy who carries a pocket knife when I'm wearing p@nts. Sure, I probably don't NEED a knife on my person because I'm usually close enough to one, or could wait to do the cutting, or find an alternative way of doing some task. But having a sharp knife close at hand is just so convenient! Besides, I think a sgian dubh is a unique and interesting accessory for the kilt.
    Last edited by CMcG; 31st May 13 at 08:52 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast