X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're called on to help your fair lass set up a clan tent, I'd about guarantee you'll use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been kilted for more than 50 years and have carried a Gordon Highlanders officer's pattern sgian dubh for that whole time. As a piper, and especially as a pipe major, I often have need of a sharp knife for manipulating pipe chanter reeds, and for cutting hemp and tuning tape. A sharp knife is also very useful when tying in a pipe bag, as I have often been called upon to do. I find the sgian dubh far too big and clumsy for any of this, at least in my hands, so for these purposes I carry, in my sporran when kilted, and in my pocket when not, a small (app. 2" blade), razor-sharp Swiss knife, which I use at least several times a week. In my more than 50 years of kilt wearing and piping, I cannot recall ever having used my sgian dubh as a knife even though it is of excellent quality Sheffield steel and quite sharp. I carry a sgian dubh because I consider it a significant cultural artifact, but, when I require a knife, I use one better suited to my specific needs. Of course, others likely have very different uses for a knife. Whether or not you would use a sgian dubh as a knife really depends on what sort of knife you need.
    Last edited by imrichmond; 30th May 13 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D Scott View Post
    if you pull your Sgian duh, it better draw blood.
    When I was in Cadets we adhered to this tradition. All the guys had small cut marks on their calves from taking the sgian out to impress a girl and then cutting themselves enough to draw blood.

As an adult civilian, I'm over that and don't treat the sgian as a ceremonial or ritual item. I can vouch for you that it's a widely held custom in Canadian Highland Regimental and pipe band lore.

I almost always wear it, the exception being when I'm performing live music because it becomes an annoyance with all the foot stomping I do. I don't often use it, but would if the need presented itself. It's always useful to have a sharp, quality knife handy.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always carry a sgian dubh when I wear a kilt. For day wear I usually carry a Cold Steel Secret Edge as a sgian dubh, and I use it quite often. For formal occasions or when a sgian dubh might be frowned upon as a weapon I carry a sgian brew. The sgian brew gets used more than I expected.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a decorative sgian dugh, but I do have the Cold Steel "Brave Heart" one that I use regularly. Good blade for the money.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this thread in the right sub forum, don't we have a new sub forum for these discussions?
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob, ClanMacMillan, NM View Post
    When I'm kilted, I'm always wearing a sgian dubh, and I always use it. When I'm not kilted, I carry a pocket knife which gets used regularly.

Rob.
    That's me too
    KILTED LABOWSKI

"I imagine a place of brotherhood and peace, a world without war. Then I imagine attacking that place because they would never expect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Is this thread in the right sub forum, don't we have a new sub forum for these discussions?
    The subforum seemed to be more directed towards all the other weapons that aren't normally part of the kit. With the other sgian threads in this portion I figured this was the best place. Not that I mind it moving, but the sgian being a traditional accessory to the kilt I put it here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrichmond View Post
    I carry a sgian dubh because I consider it a significant cultural artifact, but, when I require a knife, I use one better suited to my specific needs. Of course, others likely have very different uses for a knife. Whether or not you would use a sgian dubh as a knife really depends on what sort of knife you need.
    I always carry a knife (tool) that clips to my belt (a non concealed tool) because I use it as a tool. Though I agree with I. M. above, to me the sgian dubh replaces that tool when I'm kilted so it's important to me that it be a practical 'cultural artifact'. Regardless, the sgian dubh is an accepted and expected artifact for THCD so if it is not a tool for you then any number of possibilities are available and acceptable.

Nile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you don't use or need a knife much, how about a "sgian brew"? ( search here and/or google it) - (plus it's good for a laugh)
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast