X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Monarch is back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazon.com JUST got me the first two seasons DVDs TODAY! Since I'm a Jimmy-come-lately to the series, it's my opportunity to see the early shows.

This ought to be great! Now to get the laptop into the shop so I can watch the shows while I'm sewing-up the kilts! Good inspiration.
    Arise. Kill. Eat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky dog, Jimmy!

And you get to watch it at work!!

Tomorrow's pay day, and I'm considering making a rash purchase online. Hmmmmmm....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody know the answer to this?

I'm running Linux (SuSE9.0) and the Laptop DVD player plays Zone1 (USA) easy but I'm looking for somone that has run both Zone1 and different Zone DVD's on their laptop (like UK).

Why you may ask...I'm thinking about getting Monach Season 3 from Amazon.uk and running on the laptop or ripping and burning because it seems they are only coming out with the USA DVD's about every 6-9 months. YES, like the 2 buzzards in the tree..."Patience Hell, I want'a kill something!"

Anyone had any experience in this?

RLJ-

Alaskan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done it myself, but friends of mine have switced the region coding on their computers. Aparently it works just fine, but you only get a limited number of times you can change it before it locks in and can't be changed anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alaskan, because I'm running Linux I may not have the switching issue but before I sunk $30.00 per disk into this I wanted to check it out...I mean...that 1/3 a kilt from Jimmy!

RLJ-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

Alaskan was right. I got this from the Dell site...

Region Code Security

If you attempt to play a DVD movie that is coded for a region other than the one for which your DVD player is configured, you will receive a region code lock error message. In most cases, when you receive such a message you are able to change the region for your DVD player.

NOTE: Be aware that recent DVD players only allow you to change the region a certain number of times (usually five times), and after that the player will be locked into the region you last selected.

I checked the discs for sale at Amazon in the UK, and it says that their discs are region 0 (which I don't get...maybe they mean all?) If a DVD is encoded for multi-regions (you'll need one that is encoded for region 1 for America) or All Regions, then you can play it with no problem...and no switching of regions.

You'll have to contact Amazon.UK and see what the region coding for the DVDs are. UK DVDs are usually Region 2 encoded (that's why the zero is throwing me off.)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...641420-0559066

I hope that helps, and doesn't get you totally confused.

Alaskan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Region 0 is the same as "All." Which means you can watch them on an American DVD player.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345