X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What kind of doublet?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regulation

11 26.83%
  • Sheriffmuir

17 41.46%
  • Kenmore

2 4.88%
  • Montrose

1 2.44%
  • Other

6 14.63%
  • Doublets aren't for me (Give suggestions in post)

4 9.76%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Little View Post
    Perhaps a set of matching, detachable buttons to occupy the holes if worn in this manner?
    Seems like a hassel and expense. I don't know how I would rig up the bottons to be detachable yet secure and stable. You think it would be a serious fashion crime to wear it as is? Perhaps when I finish some work I'm doing on the doublet, I'll put it on and post a pic.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheriffmuir!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheriffmuir 001.jpg 
Views:	1303 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	12168Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheriffmuir 014.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	12169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheriffmuir 016.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	12170

Thanks to John at Keltoi for... the kilt ... the hose and garters ...the jacket ...the jabot & cuffs and all of the advice and perspective that went with them!

...and by the way, the dog's name is "Talisker." int:
    Last edited by Father Bill; 13th June 13 at 04:00 PM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Such an interesting thread. I have a kenmore doublet in bottle green barrathea and actually tried it on open with a waitcoat in a similar style in which a sherrifmuir would be worn. Aside from having silver buttons down one side and holes down the other it achieves a very similar look.

Not to jack the thread, but do you think this would be a faux pas?
    I don't know how a Kenmore would look with a waistcoat but, certainly, mine gets unbuttoned as the evening heats up and is a better proposition for that than a Montrose. Really these jackets/doublets were designed for draughty rooms before central heating and are a bit too warm for present day conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " I don't know how I would rig up the buttons to be detachable yet secure and stable."

I have an 18th C style shirt with ruffles that I use with some of my existing kilt wear on occasion. The pattern it was made from came with instructions for a set of old style cuff links that are made by connecting two shank buttons with waxed thread. I'll have to see if I can get that scanned in. That might work for filling the holes. I like the Kenmore, and had originally intended to buy one in green velvet but thought I should see what kind of input/ advice I could get. So far this has made me start considering some of the others a bit more. Oh and Phil, the heat doesn't bother me much. As a medieval reenactor I spend a lot of my summer in layers of padding and armor. I did one event in full transitional armor (plate, hardened leather, and chain maille over linen and padding) and it ended up hitting 98 degrees F. If I can do performances in those conditions, I think I should be fine in a doublet. But that is a good consideration for most.
    Last edited by Sir Didymous; 13th June 13 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Forgot quote
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had the need of a doublet my preference would be the Sheriffmuir. However I don't really do Black or White Tie events, so it would definitely be overkill for me.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to NorseCelt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    I agree with Nathan that doublets will generally (the Newsome exception noted) not be appropriate for semi-formal events, but if you really want to have a doublet available to you, I vote for the Sheriffmuir. I've only had the occasion to wear mine a few times, but I love the look of it. Will not be confused with a PC the way a Regulation might (to untrained eyes like mine) and is much cooler and less confining than the Montrose is reported to be.

*EDIT: As you can see, it works just as well without all the frilly, lacy stuff

This looks awesome LitTrog. I love your doublet- and I also like it without the frills.

Cheers!

Michael

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to saxandpipes For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problem with doublets - if there is one - is that we keep trying to be practical and economical about a garment that is inherently neither. In spite of my expanded waistline, I have two Montrose doublets, one velvet and one barathea. I have a hybrid Sherrifmuir - Balmoral that came to me with large round buttons and no waistcoat. And I have recently acquired a burgundy velvet Indian jacket that I specified a shorter length. I am still deciding whether or not to call it a doublet or a "Nehru-Argyll". They are all a lot of fun, but I have two occasions or three at the outside to wear these things annually. Sometimes, you want to stand out and they are great ( but then so is my scarlet PC, or even the bandsman's jacket in my avatar, which is also red ) and sometimes you'd like to be quietly elegant. I am leaning towards a blue or black velvet jacket cut in the Argyll style for that quieter look. People love to touch velvet. I think it is about as inappropriate for daywear as a PC is, but these are jackets for men who already own several.
    I stumbled across a beautiful saxon blazer made up in Black Watch velvet. It is a size too small for me and I looked for it for over two years. I have been dreaming of finding its closet mate in the correct size for another year or losing 15 pounds. So far, neither has occurred. In the most perfect world, I would have that jacket made into an evening Argyll, perhaps with some black trim at the cuffs.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacLowlife For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not bashing the jabot and cuffs broadly, just on me. Father Bill can wear them and they look very appropriate. If I were to wear them, it would be as jarring (and as destined to crash and burn) as this:

The difference is class. I gots me none.
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    I'm not bashing the jabot and cuffs broadly, just on me. Father Bill can wear them and they look very appropriate. If I were to wear them, it would be as jarring (and as destined to crash and burn) as this:

The difference is class. I gots me none.
    I don't even know if it's a class thing. I don't really consider myself particularly classy, but I like the way jabots look. My wife and I had a our portrait taken, and though this may not be proper for THCD, I don't think what I'm wearing looks too terrible (even if it is more toward the historical end.)
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't a class thing. It is all about choosing how you want to look. OK maybe you have issues with doublets, jabots, even lace cuffs. But do you want to carry on being an amorphous wimp, wearing a t-shirt and jeans or whatever else the ladies in your life have decided is acceptable wear. Please remember that they will be wearing anything that seems remotely fashionable but you, as a man, will be expected to dress in the most boring fashion possible. So think about it and decide whether you want your dress decided by your partner or what you decide to wear.

16. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Phil For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123