X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Ya, alternate spellings make it tough, eh? The problem with trying to jump over the pond is the need to narrow it down to something smaller than "the Hebrides (prob Lewis)" or you'll be searching for records like a needle in a haystack. This is especially true when it comes to records that aren't online...

Ancestry.ca shows some ship listings arriving in Nova Scotia from Scotland that might match your family. Not for 1804, but record keeping was a bit "loose" back in those days. For example, I have three different birth years for my 3 X great grandfather The brief ancestry.ca references come from:

Whyte, Donald. 1986. A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation. Toronto: Ontario Genealogical Society.

It's supposed to contain "Date and port of arrival. Name of ship, place of origin, place of destination, date of birth and death, parentage, occupation, and other historical and family data may also be provided."

If you're ready to dig for records in the Hebrides, check out GENUKI: Scotland for a bunch of resources and links: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/
    I agree that what I have is vague. We know that Angus was a native of Lewis, approx when he was born and when he died. We know he had a brother named John. We know his mother was Margaret Gillis and her father was a minister. We know Angus' father was named Malcolm.

Unfortunately, we don't know for sure whether either of both of his parents (Malcolm MacDonald and Margaret Gillis) were orn on Lewis. When either was born, married or died. The names of their other children that didn't come to Canada, what Malcolm did for a living etc... so yeah. Needle in a haystack!

I didn't see a man named Malcolm MacDonald with two sons named Angus and Jon (and a daughter) from Lewis on any of the ship registers I looked at on Ancestry.ca a few months ago when I was paying for the full membership.

My worry is that I could pay through the nose trawling incomplete databases and coming up empty. The existing records are far from comprehensive in the late 1700s and not all of them are even online. Thought I'd post this here in the hopes that there was a cousin out there that had already hit the jackpot. Either that or someone with a full subscription to one of these databases that wouldn't mind taking a boo.

I'll check your link though as it looks quite interesting and I very much appreciate the assistance you've offered so far.

Slàinte!
    Last edited by Nathan; 19th June 13 at 02:33 PM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Fantastic link, Colin!

Cheers,
    !
    Thank you, Colin. Best of luck, Nathan.

It seems that many times records were simply not kept among country folk. How many generations of people were born, lived, and died without much of a trace in the written record? A fire at the local parish could have destroyed centuries of local records. Spelling changes can be a real bother, and some people flat-out changed their names upon coming to the New World...often because they didn't want to be found by people in the Old World.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I didn't see a man named Malcolm MacDonald with two sons named Angus and Jon (and a daughter) from Lewis on any of the ship registers I looked at on Ancestry.ca a few months ago when I was paying for the full membership.

My worry is that I could pay through the nose trawling incomplete databases and coming up empty. The existing records are far from comprehensive in the late 1700s and not all of them are even online. Thought I'd post this here in the hopes that there was a cousin out there that had already hit the jackpot. Either that or someone with a full subscription to one of these databases that wouldn't mind taking a boo.
    As you say, a lot of stuff isn't online. On the bright side, new documents and info are being added every day!

What I'm seeing is that Ancestry.ca doesn't actually have very many ship lists, but rather indexes names listed in books. There are a few hits for your ancestors that look possible, but don't give enough info online to tell for sure... Some of those books are in the York library so I'll take a look for you the next time I go up to campus Other ones are in the National Library and Archives of Canada, which you can order photocopies of very inexpensively.

I don't want to waste a bunch of money either, so I'm using free online sources to point me towards things stored in archives, rather than signing up for more paid services. Like you, I have some info about my ancestors and I'm using that to narrow down my "haystack" Nonetheless, it seems that to get back further is going to require sorting through potential leads and a process of elimination. Basically, it's going to take effort and research

It would be super nice to find a long lost cousin who has the answers, though. I'm hoping for the same thing myself
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Port Moody, BC, just up in those trees there.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to Paypal some money to someone in Scotland. The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages can look into this stuff for £7/15 minutes rather than the per query fee at Scotland's People.
    I dropped into one this summer with my paternal great-grandparents' names and date of death and the registrar found their birth, death and marriage registry, as well as the info for their respective parents in fifteen minutes. Who knows how far I could have gone if I had made an appointment ahead of time?

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Dangerdean For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to waste a bunch of money either, so I'm using free online sources to point me towards things stored in archives, rather than signing up for more paid services. Like you, I have some info about my ancestors and I'm using that to narrow down my "haystack" Nonetheless, it seems that to get back further is going to require sorting through potential leads and a process of elimination. Basically, it's going to take effort and research
    Yes, indeed it will, but the results can be oh so rewarding!

I began my genealogical research during my freshman year of high school back in 1995. Unfortunately, in 2006 I hit a road block with the Highland ancestry of my direct paternal line at the year 1737 - not bad I suppose. Luckily for my immediate family and I, my great-uncle Lloyd Macpherson, has always been rather keen on our family's Scottish genealogy and has a plethora of various records (copies of birth certificates, death certificates, census reports, marriage certificates, parish records, deeds, etc) and important documentation, all of which was vital to my research. Not every family is so fortunate, even still, it took an enormous amount of time, energy, diligence, perserverance and research to discover and correctly document what I have now. Not to mention a wee bit of money.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 20th June 13 at 07:06 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to creagdhubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nonetheless, it seems that to get back further is going to require sorting through potential leads and a process of elimination. Basically, it's going to take effort and research
    Well I hear that! The MacDonalds have been passing down information through the generations since this Angus, so we have a nice box of heirlooms, photos and documents to start from. My brother and I have spent a considerable amount of time, effort and money filling in the rest of that tree you saw on Ancestry.ca.

As I said, the problem is that we keep coming up snake eyes when we try to go back further than Angus. I admit that I have been relying on online resources as well as speaking to older relatives for most of my information. Your archives leads are interesting. Who better to ask for research tips than a Phd candidate?

One example of an heirloom that we've been passing down is this obituary for the same Angus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AngusObit.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	12401
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who better to ask for research tips than a Phd candidate?
    I second that!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to creagdhubh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Who better to ask for research tips than a Phd candidate?

One example of an heirloom that we've been passing down is this obituary for the same Angus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AngusObit.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	12401
    Archival research is fascinating, especially when you come across things that have been stored away and almost forgotten for ages. My primary method for my PhD is based on participant-observation fieldwork, however, so I'm no expert on this stuff. We at least had some training in the archives in our research foundations course

I'm curious about the obit for Angus. It says he was "received into the Catholic Church" in 1805. Does that mean he was only baptized that year, or was he part of a different denomination before he came to Canada? Is there any documentation of that "reception"?
    Last edited by CMcG; 20th June 13 at 07:23 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to prove my great great grandmother Mary Gillis of the Skye Glen, Nova Scotia (CBI) area was descended from the Gillis' that settled the area...can't even find her...lots of Mary Gillis' though...don't think women counted for much then.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Snip*

I'm curious about the obit for Angus. It says he was "received into the Catholic Church" in 1805. Does that mean he was only baptized that year, or was he part of a different denomination before he came to Canada? Is there any documentation of that "reception"?
    "Reception" generally means that the individual was baptised in another denomination, and the church recognizes that baptism, but that they are now coming into the new denomination. It is a simple part of a larger service, but often the individual is "received" by a Bishop.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast