X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kilted Archery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice ! I think basic archery was the only useful thing I ever learned in gym class .
    veritas aequitas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a longbow for re-enactment displays, which were always a bit hectic, (tunic rather than kilt) but it was a great pleasure to go back to the display field when the public had gone home and shoot a few quivers with my friends as the sun went down. Very peaceful :-)

I've never tried a compound bow, sights, stabilisers, clickers, etc, but despite the typical step down in accuracy there's a simplicity to longbows which I enjoy, especially the bang you get putting an arrow through a plywood target.

Self-bows with natural strings are obviously a bit more susceptible to atmospheric changes, so in general you get more consistency and a better cast with a recurved horn & sinew laminated bow, and especially with a modern composite for target shooting but I always just loved the history of the longbow. I assume compounds let you hold a heavy poundage for additional time if uncooperative wildlife require it, but I don’t hunt, myself.

I’ve enjoyed using a modern composite bow at a range as well, though I preferred hunting targets set up at random distances in woodland rather than a range - lots of fun.

Salvianus, Archery in Sherwood Forest (seriously).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true, Salvianus. The compound bow allows the archer to hold the draw longer before releasing the stored energy. It was a nice thing to have when first learning archery. The recurve bow seems to be a pretty nice bit of kit, too. Longbows have a romance to them that no other bow has. Crossbows...eh...not for me.

I have enjoyed many hours at the butts with my compound bow as a wee boy but it's been quite some time for me. I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn now, muchless the centre of a target placard! Lol.

Great sport, lots of history.
    The Official [BREN]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12