X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus
    Chris,

Thanks for the link about the Welsh Cilt links. I've been looking at getting a Llewellyn Cilt, but I can't afford to pay almost $800 American from the Welsh Tartan Center. Thanks again for the tip.

Rufus
    Rufus -
    Contact North Channel Kilts. http://www.nckilts.com
    I don't think that he has it listed on his web site but I know for a fact that he is carrying Welsh tartans. You might want to e-mail them to get pricing and specifications. Their more expensive kilts start at $650.00 and are made in the US while their UK made kilts start at $450.00.

Best of luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Thanks for the link about the Welsh Cilt links. I've been looking at getting a Llewellyn Cilt, but I can't afford to pay almost $800 American from the Welsh Tartan Center. Thanks again for the tip.

Rufus
    You should check out the Celtic Clotheshorse and the Celtic Connection in the US. They're cheaper than the WTC and the fabric comes from the same weaver in Wales.

You also might want to check out the Welsh National tartan. It is woven in Scotland and most kilt makers carry it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vince,

Thanks for the tip on the internet site.

Chris,

If you look up the wrong internet site for the "Celtic Connection", you end up in some weird WICCAN web site telling you how to pick proper herbs for spells. Definitely wasn't kilts. I did find the right web site. I liked their prices, but noticed that it was only 14/15oz weight. It's really windy where I live...I need at least 16oz.

Rufus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vince,

Thanks for the tip on the internet site.

Chris,

If you look up the wrong internet site for the "Celtic Connection", you end up in some weird WICCAN web site telling you how to pick proper herbs for spells. Definitely wasn't kilts. I did find the right web site. I liked their prices, but noticed that it was only 14/15oz weight. It's really windy where I live...I need at least 16oz.

Rufus
    Rufus,

You should inquire about a custom weave in 16 oz. of the tartan of your choice. My Welsh National kilt comes in a standard medium weight. I had it custom woven in 16 oz. It only cost an extra $50 for the heavier weave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Was that at Hector Russel that you got the custom weave? $50 isn't bad at all for the added weight, especially if it keeps the kilt down.

I'm still debating the extra cost/effort for the Welsh Llewellyn tartan, or just going the cheap/easy way and getting the Caledonia or possibly Clergy tartan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

Was that at Hector Russel that you got the custom weave? $50 isn't bad at all for the added weight, especially if it keeps the kilt down.

I'm still debating the extra cost/effort for the Welsh Llewellyn tartan, or just going the cheap/easy way and getting the Caledonia or possibly Clergy tartan.
    Yes, that kilt was from HR here in Toronto. I'm sure if you inquired at Celtic Connection they could find out if you can get the Llewellyn tartan in 16 oz. and for how much. Llewellyn is a proud Welsh name. You should have a kilt in the tartan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great idea Chris. I'll have to check them out, but I'll go to the right web site this time rather than the Wiccan one. I'll let you know what they say.

I do like the Llewellyn tartan a lot, because of the purples and blacks. I have Llewellyn ancestors on both sides of my family, but my mother is a Radford, and my father a Fowler. Both pretty normal British surnames.

My sister went to England/Scotland for vacation a few summers ago, and met some Llewellyns. She said that we definitely have the "Llewellyn look."

My mom got really into geneology a few years ago, and traced our ancestors leaving Wales around 1840. Part of me wishes that some of them had stayed, so that I would have a good excuse to visit.

Rufus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,

I just got the email from the Celtic Connection. They said that they can only get the 14oz Llewellyn tartan. Trust me, it's way too windy where I live for 14oz.

Any other places I should check?

Rufus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12