X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kilt shirts

Alaskan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt shirts

Does anyone have a kilt shirt/jackobite shirt/highland shirt?
    I was thinking about ordering some. Not that I particulartly like the design, but I would think that they are longer, or have longer aprons and tails.
    I think that longer shirts would be better for keeping the kilt clean if you are going regimental.
    I was hoping that someone who has one of these shirts could tell me if they are indeed longer... I'd rather not have to buy one just to find out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those shirts strike me as a bit costumey. I wear a normal button up shirt. The tails are plenty long enough and I think it looks much better for normal wear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the design isn't my favorite. The ones with the "grandad collar" or "priest collar" look a little better to me, though. And I think they would be good if worn with a nice sweater.
    I only have a couple of normal button down shirts that would be long enough to keep my kilt clean when going regimental, and it is difficult for me to find shirts in my size locally. Sometimes I can find short sleeve shirts I can wear, but long sleeves are pretty much out of the question. If I was able to find a short sleeve shirt in my area, I am sure that it wouldn't be long enough to serve the purpose I have in mind.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having a jacobite shirt made by a dressmaker friend at present.
    I would wear it to celtic events perhaps but it is a bit showy for daily wear IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottish Lion has Jacobite shirts on sale but sizes and colors are limited - Charcoal and ... Purple

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jacobite shirts at www.mcrok.com are only $3.50 more at regular price than the sale price of Scottish Lion. Plus they have the "grandad collar" and 6 different colors... none of which are purple.

If someone tells me that these kinds of shirts tend to be long enough to keep the kilt clean when going regimental I would pick up one each in ivory and black. Though, now that I think of it, maybe I should have just e-mailed the company... but this way is more fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two jacobite shirts...both wheat colored. I bought them both at the same time that I bought my first kilt. At the time, I didn't know much about kilts or how to wear them. I have to admit that they are comfortable shirts. I've worn them once or twice with kilts but personally I think they look a bit hokey. Now I only wear them with blue denim jeans. I wouldn't recommend that you spend the money unless you really want one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see a piccie of me in my jacobean shirt under "Show us your pics" (is there a difference between jacobean and jacobite, apart from the spelling? Forgive my ignorance).

I agree its quite dressy but I think they look really smart with a kilt without looking "formal".

Cheers
    David.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, David... is the shirt long enough to cover up your nether regions? I want to go regimental, but if you don't have anything between your skin and your kilt, that's like not changing your underwear. I don't think I would wear the shirt on it's own, but with a vest or a sweater that would make it look less dressy or dressed up.
    As far as I know jacobean shirts and jacobite shirts and highland shirts and about 40 other names all describe the same kind of shirts... like the one you are wearing in your picture. Sometimes you can get them with a different collar, or with a different kind of fastener, but I think the names all mean the same kind of shirt. Maybe someone will correct me, though, because I am not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alaskan,

The shirt is quite long - long enough for what you require at any rate! I'm not sure how well "dressing it down" would work. My own opinion is that if you don't want to look that dressy, then don't get one of these.

However, I did a little search on your behalf and found a kilt shirt on http://www.highland-wear.co.uk/kilt_...x?PartNo=HWSH2 with a grandad collar that didn't look anything like as dressy as the jacobean shirt. As regards length - you'd have to ask them!

Cheers
    David.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast