X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cook of Stewart Clan

My historical information has lead me to believe that Cook was one of the Stewart Clan, "Stewards" to the king.
    I am basing my theory on guesswork and limited information which fits.
    My theory is that Cook left Scotland at the time of the troubles with the Stewarts and William of Orange, Etc
    Captain James Cook was a farm labourer who later sailed a whitby Collier from Whitby and Staiths area of Yorkshire.He then sailed as an admialty surveyor.
    His son Captain John Cook was recorded as having drowned in Poole harbour, about twenty five miles from where I now live in Weymouth, on the shores of Portland Harbour.
    My Grandmother was Agness Cook.Her family Or ancestors owned shares in a Baltic Timber ship.
    Pleater spoke of Poole Quay.
    When my family made money in sea trading they moved from Poole Quay to Parkstone.
    A Captain Cook came home, presumably in the autum to Poole with a dark eyed Spanish Maiden, possibly a couple of generations before My Grand mother was born, say 1880
    This gives 1840. Do any of the gagle know of any Cooks on the East coast of Canada, America, or Nova Scotia at the time of the Grand Banks Cod Schooners.
    I have information that these vessels sailed out of Poole, Brittany,and Portugal.Someone spoke of a Captain John cook in Pensylvenia I believe. Could have been the
    I met a Frenchman from Brittany whose grand father sailed as crew on a schooner when he was eleven years old.He lost all his teeth due to scurvey.
    The Frenchman said "you look like a sailor. Do you come from Scotland ?"
    I told him the tale I have told you.
    A Greenslade from Poole,may well have been involved in the Banks Fishery.
    The Frenchman had been doing some research work in Glouchester (?)
    Boats worked the curquit (?) Poole, Nova Scotia, Spain ,Poole ,everyyear.
    possibly hunded and ten foot schooners with flatpack sixteen to twenty foot dories lassed to the deck. This trade is the basis of one of Rudyard Kiplings stories.
    very romantic, Any takers ? My spelling is bad. I am a poor simple fisherman. Roddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cook or MacCook is also regarded as a MacDonald sept. The name Cook therefore would be a 'lost Mac' name with the initial 'C' being left over from the prefix Mac and the original's name would have sounded like 'Ook' - just like the names Curry/MacCurry.
    Last edited by freddie; 12th July 13 at 11:25 PM.
    The Kilt is my delight !