X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saying 'Aye'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Steve, while we're at it could you clarify this point for me (& for everyone else)? The "Aye" button was added while I was offline for a period of time, so I might've missed any earlier announcement or details regarding its use, but as with Jock, I too notice that after about 5 "ayes" I cannot see/access that option for another 12 to 24 hours or so.
    I'm not Steve, but as a member of the mod team, I can probably help answer a couple of these...

The "aye" button was established as a direct response to a request for a "Like" button, in this thread: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-button-79247/

It was called "Aye" instead of "Like" as it was felt that it would more accurately reflect the rabble and the culture of this site.

The use of the "aye" button is essentially the same as a "Like" or "plus-one" button you might see on a social networking site like Facebook, Google+, etc. If you want to show your agreement with a post without necessarily having to begin a new post of your own, you can show your agreement using "Aye."

The use of the "aye" button was indeed limited, because it really shouldn't be used as a substitute for making meaningful contributions to the community. It's a GOOD thing to encourage members to provide verbal feedback on posts and threads. That's what makes this place as popular as it is... It's the people. A simple "aye" is convenient, and sometimes it's apt to use it... But it's nicer, rather than just saying "I agree" to also point out why you might agree, or add a personal touch of your own to the post.

Anyway, I hope that helps clarify a little more about what it is, where it came from, and the intended usage...

JD

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'aye' button should now be available to any member with at least 1 post.

I can also confirm that any member, even new members with less than 10 posts, may put a photo or other image into their posts. They may post a link to their images stored with an off-forum site such as photobucket or may insert an image directly from their computer using the 'insert image' button in the 'post reply' text window.

A small word of caution when using the 'insert image' button and posting an image from your home computer.

The images you see in posts are not actually stored within the database of the forum. With a forum this large it would require the storage of a huge amount of data. It would also make the forum run very slow.

What you are actually doing when you post an image, is posting a link to where ever the image is stored. Every time a page refreshes or someone looks at a post containing an image our software accesses the image and displays it for you.

It is unlikely, but possible, that some hacker could use this link to your home computer to access and gain control of your computer without your knowledge.

This would be similar to what is happening in India right now. India has become the world's larges source for spam. There are sites out there such as those that appear to offer free smiley faces to dress up your posts and instant messages. What these sites actually do is take over your computer and send electronic junk mail to everyone in your email address book.

So please be cautious. It may be a bit more work to upload your photos to somewhere like photobucket. But it is probably safer and wiser to do so.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 11th July 13 at 12:59 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPNPoutine View Post
    Anyway, I hope that helps clarify a little more about what it is, where it came from, and the intended usage...
    It does, thanks!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    A small word of caution when using the 'insert image' button and posting an image from your home computer.

The images you see in posts are not actually stored within the database of the forum. With a forum this large it would require the storage of a huge amount of data. It would also make the forum run very slow.

What you are actually doing when you post an image, is posting a link to where ever the image is stored. Every time a page refreshes or someone looks at a post containing an image our software accesses the image and displays it for you.
    Are you saying that the forum accesses my computer to show the pictures in my posts that I have uploaded? I didn't think that was possible. Since the posting process seems to upload the photo... what happens? Where does that photo reside after uploading? I am very confused by this.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elizabeth,

Please do not be concerned. No! the forum is not constantly accessing your home computer. Your photos will still appear even if your home computer is turned off or completely disconnected from the internet.

What I should have said is that many forums, like this one, use what is called the PHP/MySQL language. There are two parts. One is the forum that you see on your screen. This is the code that puts the wallpaper of our Tartan up, shows the little boxes and icons etc. But the actual image of our Tartan and all of the photos you see are actually stored in a place sort of like a big file cabinet. What you see on your screen are attachments and links to the actual images.

The image you upload is stored for display as needed but each image still contains the source code back to where the image originally came from.

If you would like to see an easy and safe example of how this all works upload a photo to any photo hosting site. Then post that photo to one of your posts. After a while go back and move that photo. Viola, all you will see on X Marks is a little icon saying that the photo is no longer available.

It is possible (and I stress possible) for a hacker, if they were able to gain access to our data, to follow the links back to your computer.

This is very unlikely and I don't think any hacker would be interested in my photos of my fish tank.

But could it be done? Sure.

This is why I changed the definition of PM on X Marks to mean "Personal Message" instead of "Private Message". Nothing on the web is ever 100% totally secure.

It requires the signature of a judge on a court order for the police to tap your telephone. But any hacker with a cell phone can listen in on any other cell phone call.

All I am trying to do is remind our members to treat the internet with due caution.

I would also caution everyone to have a dummy email in their address book. I use "0@00.com". If a scammer or hacker gains access to your machine the first thing they usually do is start sending spam to everyone in your address book. At least this way you will get an error message saying that your computer tried to send an email message to this dummy address and it was sent back as deliverable.

It is amazing how some people do not take even the most fundamental and basic care when they start up their computers. This is the main reason that there is so much junk mail on the internet. How do you think most spammers get your email address?

Some businesses actually sell the email addresses of everyone who buys something from them. Sometimes spammers set up entire computer banks that constantly surf the internet collecting every link and every piece of data they can find.

It is my responsibility to protect your data. Warning our members about posting links to your photos and/or personal information in a PM, thinking that it is 100% secure and safe, is one of the things I feel honor bound to do.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 11th July 13 at 06:38 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Steve for taking the time to answer. Your explanation was my understanding of how uploading works. Using caution on the internet is always advisable, for nothing is truly private. Thanks again!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And all this time I thought it was the Aye, Aye, Aye Aye from the Mariachi song Ceilito Lindo...
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [snip] I would also caution everyone to have a dummy email in their address book. I use "0@00.com".
    The folks at 00.com are probably getting a lot of strange e-mails. . . LOL kind of like having one of those phone numbers that got used in a pop song!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pennsylvania 65000

and thanks to Steve and the whole team for taking user privacy and security so seriously

salü Jörg
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Weeelll - once I was walking along the row of shops near us and passed a young couple, she was wearing a narrow strip of denim for a skirt and a couple of handkerchieves worth of fabric for a blouse and it was losing the fight to stay closed - I was almost out of earshot when he enquired 'why doesn't your skirt move like that?' Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I changed the definition of PM on X Marks to mean "Personal Message" instead of "Private Message". Nothing on the web is ever 100% totally secure.

<snip!>

It is my responsibility to protect your data. Warning our members about posting links to your photos and/or personal information in a PM, thinking that it is 100% secure and safe, is one of the things I feel honor bound to do.
    I do the same thing (list "PM" as "Personal Messaging") on the websites that I manage, for the same reason.

Steve, I deeply appreciate your concern for the privacy and online security of the members of this forum. It's one of the many reasons that I'm proud to be a part of the rabble. Sadly, many website and forum owners either don't feel the same way or lack the technical knowledge and resources to make their sites secure. Thanks for doing the right thing - and doing it well.
    ---
    "Integrity is telling myself the truth. Honesty is telling the truth to other people." - Spencer Johnson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12