X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitby and/or York ?

Whitby Goth Weekend -
    http://www.whitbygothweekend.co.uk/
    Not everyone's cup of tea but there are always plenty of kilts, non-traditional and traditional, to be seen out and about in Whitby on the Saturday.
    Whitby is always busy that weekend and accommodation fills up.
    Me and Gabriele are booked into a hotel at Pickering from the Friday to the Sunday.
    Plan is to ride the Goth Express steam train from Pickering to Whitby on the Saturday (2nd November) and then visit the National Railway Museum in York on the Sunday (3rd November). Anybody up for an autumn Yorkshire meet?
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing something on TV about the goths at Whitby, for the benefit of our global friends and forgive me if you know this already but Whitby is the place where Count Dracula entered the country in the Bram Stoker novel. His ship the Demeter was wrecked off the coast and he came ashore in the guise of a big black dog.

That should be a very interesting weekend Alex, I look forward to the pictures.
    Last edited by Grizzly; 12th July 13 at 10:52 PM.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I also heard on the news that from time to time skeletons turn up on the beach because of the erosion of land around the Abbey.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I remember seeing something on TV about the goths at Whitby, for the benefit of our global friends and forgive me if you know this already but Whitby is the place where Count Dracula entered the country in the Bram Stoker novel. His ship the Demeter was wrecked off the coast and he came ashore in e guise of a big black dog.

That should be a very interesting weekend Alex, I look forward to the pictures.
    With all this talk about goths and dracula, I hope the boys in blue from Ashfordly and Aidensfield don't drop in for the weekend and upset the apple cart.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no doubt they would be there in a heartbeat.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love whitby. Best fish and chips in England. my son and law and daughter go there often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited last year and also loved it. Not for the Dracula connection, but the fish restaurants. Not just fish and chips, but all sorts of fresh fish almost as plentiful as in a French port but sold completely without pretension. It bought a couple of oysters from a stall that elsewhere would have been selling burgers.

The centre of the town is hopeless for driving a car. I parked in the suburbs on top of the cliff to walk to my hotel.

(I'm more interested in Bede than Dracula, but it takes all sorts to make up a kilt wearing world.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS. York is nice, but I get the feeling that all those shops inside the walled city make it feel a bit like a theme park.

Whitby isn't a bit like that. As I said, unpretentious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to attend this someday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love York. It was one of the first places we visited when we came to England to attend our daughters wedding. My wife is visiting our family now and just spent the day there. I wish I was. I might agree about the theme park critique but I'm always just excited too be back, the few times I have been able to get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    PS. York is nice, but I get the feeling that all those shops inside the walled city make it feel a bit like a theme park.

Whitby isn't a bit like that. As I said, unpretentious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast