X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love York. It was one of the first places we visited when we came to England to attend our daughters wedding. My wife is visiting our family now and just spent the day there. I wish I was. I might agree about the theme park critique but I'm always just excited too be back, the few times I have been able to get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    PS. York is nice, but I get the feeling that all those shops inside the walled city make it feel a bit like a theme park.

Whitby isn't a bit like that. As I said, unpretentious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was being a bit sniffy about York. I was there last autumn and, yes, it is wonderful.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean though Jonathan and I like York too, but I am afraid much of the UK is heading down the same path and has been doing so for a long while. Thus far I don't think that anyone has come up with the answer of doing so, sympathetically.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th July 13 at 03:20 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love York and once you get off the cloned highstreets with their Pizza huts, WH Smiths, Greggs and Carphone warehouse. And if you know where to look, there are loads of little independent shops down pokey back alleys doing everything from books, antiques and non touristy nick-nacks, musical instruments, galleries, little caffs and corner pubs and the like. It's a great place to explore.

I'd love to do the Whitby weekend thing. I was having a shuftie at some pictures on the net yesterday and some of the Goth and Steampunk costumery is tremendous. They certainly go to a lot of bother anyway. I'll bet it's quite the party too! Not that I need an excuse to throw a kilt on and get out there. Can't do it this year unfortunately. Working.

(Pictures borrowed from the website I linked to above)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't do it this year unfortunately. Working.
    That's disappointing John. Gabriele was asking when we are going to meet up with John and Cagman again. Oh well, perhaps one of next year's kilted gatherings.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shameless bump!

Wondering if any xmarkers are going to be in Whitby on Saturday?
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there in September whilst it was still warm.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have enjoyed , just more notice required , good thought for a group meet up though .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12