X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This always happens to those who write "about" rather than "of" events. Note that historians claimed that Tom Costain was just a novelist. Novelists said that he constrained himself too much with history. Costain said he was writing "historical fiction." Similarly, Dan Brown's interesting writing (DaVinci Code etc.) has been criticised for its theology and inaccuracies despite the fact that he spends a lot of effort explaining that his books are novels, fiction, and just that, no more.

*Sigh*
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    ... The imported Sussex Downs sheep were not hardy enough and died in their hundreds...
    Thufferin' Thuccotash... Those darned pesky English. Even their sheep can't be trusted!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    This always happens to those who write "about" rather than "of" events. Note that historians claimed that Tom Costain was just a novelist. Novelists said that he constrained himself too much with history. Costain said he was writing "historical fiction." Similarly, Dan Brown's interesting writing (DaVinci Code etc.) has been criticised for its theology and inaccuracies despite the fact that he spends a lot of effort explaining that his books are novels, fiction, and just that, no more.

*Sigh*
    Peebles and Brown are totally different things. Peebles was writing history: Culloden, which I read earlier this year, is based on lots of detailed research. He can well be criticised, but what he certainly does is show the amount of human misery for the lower ends of the social scale. Even if you are not a Marxist, you still need to take account of that.

I found that link to a criticism of him very interesting. I can remember watching a showing of the film of Culloden at school.

Peebles' Marxism shows in his contempt for royalty. Fair enough for Bonnie Prince Charlie and Butcher Cumberland and even Prince Albert at Balmoral, but to sneer at Elizabeth I at Tilbury (I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman...) just because she was wearing a red wig, isn't just unfair, it's sexist.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to JonathanB For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for a link to a series of incredibly
    interesting videos. I'be always suspected that
    my ancesters may not have been directly involvedi
    In "the clearances". There's nothing there to
    suggest otherwise, but the story, as presented,
    is definitely interesting.

The most intertesting thread in story is the
    rationale for why persons of Scottish decent
    might be a bit "left wing", shall we say. One of
    the early experiences that I had here in Australia
    was as a member of the Electrical Trades Union --
    I attended a meeting, addressed by a bloke with a
    Scottish accent, who prefaced his remarks with,
    "Comrades!!"

As somone who grew up in the USofA, I first wondered
    how I'd wandered into Soviet land (this was the 80s
    after all) And later I recognised it as a statement
    of militancy and solidarity.

-Don (who may be sailing close to the wind on alowed
    communication here at X-Marks) But the historical
    question of the politics of "ordinary" Scotts seems
    to be an interesting question.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my apologies. I wasn't suggesting that Brown was the same thing, just that there is a spectrum of writing along which criticisms of the melding of opinion, imagination, and fact can arise.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turned out to be a two edged sword. The vast profits from sheep rearing just did not materialise. The imported Sussex Downs sheep were not hardy enough and died in their hundreds.
    My understanding was that it was the heardy Cheviot sheep that was rugged enough to withstand the Highland environment that lead to the boom in the Highland woolen industry and the Clearances. Peat, Kelp and wool production replaced subsistance farming. Please help me understand how the Sussex Downs fits into this as I clearly have an incomplete picture.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    BBNC, you might find this video overview interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7aXt...F02C0B53D5CC01
    Dale, thanks for posting the link. I looked at it today and found it was very interesting. Particularly enjoyed the additional info on Sir Walter Scott.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    My understanding was that it was the heardy Cheviot sheep that was rugged enough to withstand the Highland environment that lead to the boom in the Highland woolen industry and the Clearances. Peat, Kelp and wool production replaced subsistance farming. Please help me understand how the Sussex Downs fits into this as I clearly have an incomplete picture.
    When the process started there were not enough Cheviot sheep, but there were lots of Sussex Downs. When a new breed is introduced into an area there is always a proving time. They had to go through at least one complete breeding cycle, before they could be sure that they had the wrong sheep and it wasn't something wrong with their technique. In the mean time the harsher weather was killing them and they were being replaced. The adverse weather was not seen initially as a deciding factor.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the process started there were not enough Cheviot sheep, but there were lots of Sussex Downs. When a new breed is introduced into an area there is always a proving time. They had to go through at least one complete breeding cycle, before they could be sure that they had the wrong sheep and it wasn't something wrong with their technique. In the mean time the harsher weather was killing them and they were being replaced. The adverse weather was not seen initially as a deciding factor.
    Well , well, I did not know that! I can well imagine Downland sheep not being hardy enough for the Highlands though. I learn something new every day.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    BBNC, you might find this video overview interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7aXt...F02C0B53D5CC01
    Love that series!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast