X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem Triple - I was just afraid that others might seize upon it and it could go south.

As regards your most salient point, I strongly agree that absent any behaviour to draw attention to oneself, the constabulary tend to be the most reasonable folks on the street.

Cheers & Blessings!

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sgian Dharaich. Quite right, Richard!

I didn't even think to look up the Gaelic term! Silly me!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all my years of kilt wearing in the UK, the only times I have been asked about my sgian dubh is when I am not wearing it, as in "where is your sgian dubh?" or when I have used it: "is it sharp?" I don't wear it to go out to the pub because I don't trust inebriated folks, nor would I wear it to a sporting event, nor when out on a long walk (it can be a bit annoying having to stop to hoist your sock up). I would wear it to a formal or semi formal event, such as a Highland Gathering, any private party when suitably dressed, church (once a year at Xmas), restaurant meals or any other occasion when it would not be inappropriate. It has proved to be quite useful on many occasions.

Just don't do anything stupid with it, don't draw attention to it and as it is part of the accepted highland dress in the UK that is the way it will be regarded. People are far more inclined to ask about your clan if you are wearing tartan than anything else.

I'll second all Jordan's comments too.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    As regards your most salient point, I strongly agree that absent any behaviour to draw attention to oneself, the constabulary tend to be the most reasonable folks on the street.

Cheers & Blessings!

Bill+
    Father, respectfully submitted, I will remind the rabble that we should be aware of tripping hazards.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a black-handled Swiss Army knife. I prefer a Victorinox Executive myself. Put it in your hose top. Problem solved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming back from the Remembrance Ceremonies in Ypres last year, I was "selected" at the French Customs for a security check. Putting my bag through the X ray showed up my SD. The Customs official got a bit excited about it, but as soon as I showed him my kilt, all was ok, and I was waved on through.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567