X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building Kilt Pins

So my search-fu might be weak, but I didn't find anything. I am working on getting making a kilt pin. I'm going to be using a necklace pendant, and was wondering what the best option to attach to it would be for making a pin from it. would a broach back or a tie tack style back be a better choice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tie tack style backs tend to work better for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the tack type that you can get at any craft store. A good super glue works best on the various items I have made pins with (rocks, medalions, stag horn). A good addition is to then buy some locking pin backs that are held on by an allen screw. I found them on ebay and have replaced the stock tie tack clips with them. They are much more secure and you can clip the pin down to where it wont catch on your under apron. Here is the ebay link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Locking-p...item2ebec8535a
    Last edited by brewerpaul; 21st July 13 at 01:37 PM.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Upstate New York, in the Finger Lakes region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally use the tie tack type fastener on the stag horn pins that I make. I use small spike horns from white tail deer and smooth the backside and epoxy in to small holes, small brass brads that fit the clasps .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tie tack here as well. I use two, and on an especially heavy pin, three. One advantage over a regular pin clasp is if one lets go, the other is still hanging in there.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use broach pins and super glue, both available in any craft store. If you want added security (which I do on antique pins), you can always use a section of elastic band on the pin after it is pushed through the kilt.

By the way, the pin locks brewerpaul mentions are great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I will be looking to get those pin locks and tie tack style pin. John, I've seen the rubber band trick and will be using it on any pins I buy.

Thanks all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen those before! Great resource!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering making a couple of kilt pins from the little medals that we get for placing or winning an event at the Games. I have a drawer full of these things, and absolutely nothing to do with them. If I could make 2-3 kilt pins, at least they'd get worn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one of my newest fun kilt pins. After a visit to Spoelzt Brewery, home of Shiner Beer, I had to pick up the old style church key. Many of us men of experience (a nice word for older) remeber this style and the other style bottle and can openers that predate twist tops and pop top beer cans. I used three tack pins and super glue to secure them. Took some needle nose pliers to wrap the tack pin base around the opener. To hold to the kilt I used the locking pin backs. Using these I am able to cut the pins down to the pin back leaving nothing to catch my under apron. Of course I had to sample the brews while at Spoelzt Brewing, why else would I have gone there.

If you look closely at the top and lower sides of the opener you can see the tack back wrapped around the opener.

These backs are wonderful and quite secure. I no longer worry about the tack backs being pulled off the pin.

"Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to brewerpaul For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast