X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are UGs An Endangered Species?

We had to go to the “big city” today for a medical appointment. While there we also went shopping at several large shopping centers. When we stopped for lunch, I noticed a young woman (well, young to me, she was probably in her mid 30s) wearing a very nice black dress. So what, you say? Well, I realized that out of several hundred people I had seen, she was the only person I saw up to that point that was wearing an unbifurcated garment (UG). Since this caught my attention, I made it a point to notice how others were dressed. For the entire day, and out of several hundred more people I observed (the majority of whom were women) I only saw three people of any gender or age dressed unbifurcatedly: the young woman already mentioned, an elderly lady (my age) and a young expectant mother. Everyone else dressed in “pants;" far far less than 1% were unbifurcated. It did seem to me that the three women I observed who wore dresses were quite confidently self-possessed, not unlike the description often made of men who wear kilts. Are un-bifurcated garments of any kind going extinct? If so, why? [ I have some hypotheses, but will leave those out for now.] If unbifurcated garments are not going extinct, they at least seem to be an endangered species here. Is this a trend where you are or is my experience here atypical?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a lot more than that around here; more than 5 years ago, but an awful lot less than 20 years ago.

Shame too, in my opinion!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it varies by region and culture. Down here in south-central Texas, I'd guess that it's about half and half. Lots of women wear dresses or short skirts. Both the women in my office wear skirts every day, and my wife almost always wears dresses. While I would prefer to see more unbifurcated garments amongst the womenfolk, at least they don't seem to be endangered in my neck of the woods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are in decline, for a multitued of reasons. One of them is price. I can spend $20 on a pair of jeans or my wife can spend $40 on a skirt that feels as well made. Probably just an issue with denium but that does have an affect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitted skirts and dresses are on the pricy side like kilts. I think the gals own some but reserve them for nicer occasions much like the occasional kilt wearers here. Tobus, I have noticed the Texans do dress smarter than the New Mexico lasses do at work. It's like business casual varies from region to region. I think climate has a lot of effect also.
    Thinking about the traditional tartan vs. utility kilt thing - There just doesn't seem to be hardly any utility/work skirts out there any more.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the love of my life just came home in a gorgeous flaring floral sundress with a little bolero sweater. Damn, she looks good!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think it is a shift in what has become "accetable." Here in SE AZ we have what is known as AZ casual which seems to consist of baggy shorts or pants a wrinkled shirt and flip flops, this being somewhat acceptable for work clothing. When ever I wear my kilt it draws many double takes and a few wondering looks. If only they knew what they are missing. Just so everyone is clear, flip flops look really silly with a kilt...lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may not see many (or any) kilts but come to Austin for either SXSW or ACL music fests and the standard dress for many women is a sun dress and cowboy boots.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Green Dragon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to say I see many sun dresses this time of year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the four in my family (wife, son, daughter, and yours truly) I seem to be the most frequently unbifurcated. My daughter opts for a skirt only for formal affairs, and my wife rarely dons a dress or skirt. My son will be kilted as soon as the tartan arrives and I get his kilt stitched, so that's a good thing. Alas...how sad when the lads kilt and the lasses opt for pants...
    "Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim."
    Where the stream is shallowest, it is noisiest.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast