X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Bohica is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up wax spill removal

I'm posting this on the off chance I'm not the last to know of it. I (please don't ask how) managed to spill a large amout of melted wax onto the front apron of a black PV kilt. Looking at the mess I was sure it was ruined. On advice I placed one layer of brown shopping bag on the apron and ironed it on the low poly setting. The wax melted and was wicked into the paper. I changed the paper a few times repeating this and within 5 minutes complete success. Glad it wasn't the pleats.
    I'll not be lied to , stolen from or laid a hand upon. I do this to no man and I require the same in return.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I've never been compelled to try it with a kilt, I've also removed wax in the same way using a towel in place of the paper.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the iron and brown paper bag method a few times. (My roommate makes the occasional candle wax mess.)

I learned (the hard way) that colored wax will stain some fabrics (especially white cotton). So after removing the wax, I've had to use color/dye remover. Hope you never need this step.
    Last edited by Kiltboy; 24th July 13 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect that Pleater will soon chime in. She'd be the one I would ask.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Candle wax makes me smile.

In the Anglican church, we are first ordained Deacons before, after a lapse of time, we are further ordained Priests. Deacons cannot grant absolution, pronounce a blessing on behalf of the church, nor invoke the Eucharistic prayer, whereas Priests can.

Having been ordained Priest, I celebrated my first Eucharist and it felt strange. I wrote an E-mail to the three fellows who had been ordained with me. I asked if they felt as I did, that it was amazing and a little scary to be celebrating the Eucharist, as in "Am I really allowed to do this now?"

The first fellow lives in his own very superior world. He didn't bother to answer. Typical. The second fellow is working on a doctorate in theology and scriptural studies. He replied that it was good that I felt that way since Martin Luther had written that we should never take for granted the privileges afforded us as clergy. That fits too. The third fellow is a down-to-earth former sportscaster. He replied that he kept thinking that if he spilled red wine on the beautiful white altar cloth, the altar guild was going to kick his a$$.

To each according to his nature, I guess.

Nothing about wax though until I dropped a candle a year later. That's when I used the towel and iron on the carpet. I'll try brown paper next time!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.