X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Confused about closed threads

Hi, I'm new but I post a lot in the Heritage & History forum as that's my area of special interest.

But I have a question please. I've found a few very interesting threads that relate to stuff I post on/have an interest in and would love to add a comment/post in the thread but I'm unable to due to the threads being closed (and I hate to post a duplicate thread.) Is there a policy that threads have to be closed after a certain time? I'm just confused why so many are closed. Some of the subjects are great ones!

(P.S. I did message two authors of the posts so far asking if they could please ask to reopen them but I'm not sure how often they come on.)

Silk

P.S. I was just going to post a question regarding the picture posting (to do with why they display as so tiny) but it's closed too so I can't add a further question. Could someone explain that as well... I know the pics come up as a bit bigger when you click on them but they still aren't very big. I did read the picture posting sticky and understand about the way to post a pic already but didn't see an explanation as to the size problem.
    Last edited by Silk; 31st July 13 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do believe that threads are automatically closed after a set time with no activity (but stand to be corrected). There's no problem with starting a new thread on an old topic -- typically the new thread starts with a link to the old, so that people can gather background if so inclined.

As for picture size, I think that is connected to which method you use to post. I put my photos into PhotoBucket and link from there, and they come through at a reasonably large size. I've set PBucket default to "forum size" or some such option, so PB automatically sizes my uploads for that type of use.

I think the smaller photos/thumbnails result from posting a photo directly from your computer. I haven't figured out how to do that, and knowing that they come up so small I haven't bothered to learn. Much prefer the extra step of going through PBucket to get a nice photo posted vs. those little postage-stamp sized ones. . .
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With over 1 million posts going back for over 10 years this is a huge forum. We kilties like to write a lot.

Some topics seem to go on forever and some die a natural death after just a few posts.

It is human nature that you will not read every post in a very long thread and after a while a comment is often repeated or a question is asked that was asked and already answered earlier in the same thread.

It also seems to be common for new member to want to resurrect a thread from three, five, or even 10 years ago.

We decided that we would allow threads to close 90 days after the last post was made. This is automatic and not someone deciding to close a thread.

If someone wishes to discuss the same topic that was covered a few years ago that is fine. You may simply start a new thread. This is often a good thing because you may bring a new slant or expertise to a subject that we did not have before. A new thread brings the subject back to the forefront and generates new interest in your topic.

So yes, we have quite a few old closed threads. That is just one indication of the success of this forum.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you for the information.

Silk

P.S. I don't currently own a kilt but I did wear one 5 days a week for 2 years while in high school so I hope that qualifies me to be here. lol It's more of an interest in the kilt, bagpipe & drums and Scottish history, heritage and lingering ties in Canada that brings me here. (I have a particular interest in the Canadian highland (do I capitalize or not capitalize that?) regiments!)
    Last edited by Silk; 31st July 13 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never worn a kilt myself but introduced my husband to the garment a few years back. So no, the kilt police will not show up to revoke your forum membership LOL
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to sydnie7 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silk, if you want to refer to a "dead thread" you can always include a link in your posting when you start the new one.

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tiny photos you see in posts are often what are called 'thumbnails'. Thumbnails may often be clicked and they will open to full size.

This is not always true but usually.

If you upload a photo from your home harddrive you may see the full size image in your post and then a thumbnail of the same image at the bottom of your post.

If you upload a photo from an online photo storage site you will get the full sized image. This may be a problem with some of the newer megapixel cameras. Very large photos will cause the right edge of the forum to slide of the right edge of your screen.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner