X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reproduction colors vs. modern colors?

Hi Barb, here's my question.....What's the difference between reproduction colors, and modern colors? As I've been looking at tartans for a possible new kilt, on several tartans I see three choices in colors. Ancient, reproduction, and modern. On my monitor, the reproduction and modern look different, but not as "organic" as the ancient, which I know about.

I'm interested in understanding the difference between those two. Thanks for any help.

Stan L.
    Last edited by Stan; 4th August 13 at 06:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Reproduction" is D.C. Dalgliesh's trade name for a palette of colors that attempts to evoke natural tones possible with dyes pre-dating 1745, and made from bark, berries, flowers... essentially older, non-chemical dyes. According to their website:

"The colourings of these Tartans offers a soft muted effect entirely reminiscent of the days when vegetable sources such as lichen, moss and alder bark provided the dyer with his raw materials."

Although some of what they claim has been dismissed as myth, the story they give is described on the left side of this web page: http://www.dcdalgliesh.co.uk/reproduction.rpy

I own a Buchanan in Dalgliesh's "Reproduction" colors, and it instantly became one of my favorite kilts.

This first shot is Helen, one of the kiltmakers at D.C. Dalgliesh, puting the finishing touches on my Buchanan Reproduction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helen at DC Dalgliesh finishing my Buchanan Reproduction.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	13082

And here is the finished result.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid Summers Eve.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	13083
    Last edited by unixken; 4th August 13 at 09:01 AM.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, and now I'm trying to see how this description of reproduction differs from that of ancient. BUT NBD, because I now know "enough" about the difference between modern, and reproduction to make my choice.

Thanks for the help Ken....

BTW..I've remembered (and read) that you purchased a few kilts from Scotweb too. One purchase was about the same time I did as well. On my part (and by reading some of your post, I'm assuming on your as well) after I received that first all wool kilt I was spoiled. I'm now up to 5 total, and have about 3 more to go.

My P.V. , and synthetic kilts were great, UNTIL I received my first wool kilt. Wow, what a difference.
    Last edited by Stan; 4th August 13 at 10:58 AM.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muted, Weathered, and Ancient palettes are all toned down in comparison to the "Modern" palette.

Muted seems to be...well...muted. Softer hues, toned-down shades of what would normally be bolder colours. This is a fairly recent offering from many weavers.

Ancient is a colour palette that attempts to mimmick older dyes and processes but are actually a modern invention dating to (correct me if ai'm wrong) the 1960s or so.

Reproduction is a tradename for a specific product line offered by a specific weaver (D. C. Dalgliesh). It is pretty much an ancient palette by description but it seems to incorporate elements of other weavers' 'muted' palette standards, too. All-in-all, it's basically Dalgliesh's 'ancient' line. All weavers have differences between them and colour is certainly one noticeable from the outset. Dalgliesh has been weaving this palette for a few of years but it's still a recent addition in comparison to the firm's age.

Weathered palettes are supposed to mimick the natural bleaching of dye as of the material sat out in the sun and the elements over a period time. Do they really? I don't know and wouldn't be interested in wasting hard-earned cash to try it out to be honest. The colours are, in a way, muted however they are almost always replaced by different, earthier colours. For example, green often becomes brown, blue becomes grey, red becomes rust and so-on. Many lovely tartans can be had in this palette. This is quite a recent option from a number of weavers.

Modern colours are the most common palette used in weaving tartan. It produces the boldest, riches, darkest, and deepest colours possible. The method for producing these colours date back to about the Victorian period. It is ironic that the palette that is so-called "Modern" is in fact older than the "Ancient" palette. Modern colours are most likely the colour set first seen when viewing tartans. They tend to be the most common (far and away really) and are the go-to for not only wool but also P/V and acryllic tartan weavers (although I have seen a few tartans woven in P/V and acryllic done in a Weathered scheme--certainly this is not the norm).

I know, you might be on information overload, but never fear! These forums are an excellent resource for all-things-related to kilts, tartan, and Celtic culture (especially Scottish).

The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the photo I posted in this response to a thread, from a while back. It shows side by side comparisons of the same tartan (in this case, Buchanan), in several color palettes. http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...21#post1149721
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    Reproduction is a tradename for a specific product line offered by a specific weaver (D. C. Dalgliesh). It is pretty much an ancient palette by description but it seems to incorporate elements of other weavers' 'muted' palette standards, too. All-in-all, it's basically Dalgliesh's 'ancient' line. All weavers have differences between them and colour is certainly one noticeable from the outset. Dalgliesh has been weaving this palette for a few of years but it's still a recent addition in comparison to the firm's age.
    This statement I disagree with (forgive me Barb for answering in your area).

Reproduction is DC Dalgliesh's invention. The other mills use the same color pallet, but call it WEATHERED. "Reproduction" from DC Dalgliesh = Weathered from every other mill (most predominantly, Lochcarron)

To sum up, shorten and minorly correct what Bren said:

Modern / Ancient / Muted / Weathered (aka Reproduction) are color PALLETS for a tartan. The thread count does not change, but the colors within the tartan do:

Modern -
    Red is RED, Blue = Navy, Green = Bottle Green, yellow = YELLOW, etc.

Ancient -
    Red turns to Orange, Blue = light sky blue, Green = grassy green, yellow = slightly paler yellow, etc

Muted -
    Red turns to blood red, blue = stormy sky blue, green = olive green, yellow = gold

Weathered (aka reproduction) -
    Red = salmony red, blue = grey, green = brown, yellow = pale gold, etc.

A tartans thread count (how a tartan is 'defined') doesn't change going from Modern to Ancient to Muted... just the colors within the tartan itself turn different shades of that color.
    Last edited by RockyR; 6th August 13 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to "The Tartan Place" as requested.

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rocky, you've been a big help. It seems like there's always something else to learn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed at request of Original Poster.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.