X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Military Kilt Repair, Advice

Just picked up another military kilt off of eBay for less than $100 with shipping. The only problem is that it had a poor patch job done to it. There is a 2" x 1.5" hole on the left edge of the front apron and the way that someone fixed it is by sewing the back side of the first pleat to where the hole is on the front. Other than the hole, the kilt looks to be in really good shape. I was hoping to locate a repair patch for it from the same tartan. Does anybody have any recommendations on where to start on tracking down a patch? Are there wool mills that the Canadian and UK military primarily deal with when ordering their tartan? I'm pretty sure the tartan is Red MacDuff/McDuff. Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated. Here are a few pics:
    photo.jpgimage.jpglabel.jpg
    Last edited by truckie561; 6th August 13 at 08:17 PM.
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni
    Crisis does not Create Character, it Merely Reveals it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the condition of the under apron? Is the tartan pattern centered? Can you show us a picture?

One possibility would be to switch the aprons, if the facings and kick pleats are not too skimpy and if there's enough material to make a seam.
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnie heather View Post
    What is the condition of the under apron? Is the tartan pattern centered? Can you show us a picture?

One possibility would be to switch the aprons, if the facings and kick pleats are not too skimpy and if there's enough material to make a seam.
    Hey Bonnie it's Matt. Here's the only picture I got right now for the under apron. Maybe you can make something out from this pic. I'm not too sure what "facings" or "kick pleats" are.
    image.jpg
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni
    Crisis does not Create Character, it Merely Reveals it.