X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for putting the letter up Harold, very clear and to the point. Cheers
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Downunder Kilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a fantastic letter Harold, thanks for sharing!! That really answers my question perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Let me add just a tidbit of info here in reference wearing one here in the "states".
    Unless you are an Indigenous Tribal person and have the right to have with you or use a Eagle Feather in the practice of your tribal religion/traditions, you can be fined ($10,000 plus) and even jailed for possessing one. So, simply, unless you are in the above category, don't even consider it. On the other hand, if you have a representation of a eagle feather ( ie, artificial/faux ) that's up to whatever cultural rules that apply to you otherwise ( ie, Scottish, Wales, French, Australian, or whatever...).

Just my 2 cents as a traditional native man.....

Hawk
    Was planning on broaching this subject matter in regards to woot22's question, but alas, on reading the thread I see you beat me to it Hawk. Thank you for pointing this out. In many countries, ownership and possession of eagle feathers is restricted to aboriginal groups with proof of registry with the local governments.

Better to err on the side of the law than to risk such a hefty fine and or jail time.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I]I'm only off-kilter when my kilt is off.

[/I][/COLOR][I]"I'll take a Scot on the rocks. *wink* " [/I]<--- by far the best pick-up line I have ever heard [COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR]:lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I dunno, folks... but any feather I might ever wear would immediately identify me as... a turkey! I'd be identified as a bird of "pray."
    That's good Bill!!
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I]I'm only off-kilter when my kilt is off.

[/I][/COLOR][I]"I'll take a Scot on the rocks. *wink* " [/I]<--- by far the best pick-up line I have ever heard [COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR]:lol:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SorenMacTavish View Post
    Was planning on broaching this subject matter in regards to woot22's question, but alas, on reading the thread I see you beat me to it Hawk. Thank you for pointing this out. In many countries, ownership and possession of eagle feathers is restricted to aboriginal groups with proof of registry with the local governments.

Better to err on the side of the law than to risk such a hefty fine and or jail time.
    Noted sir.....I only speak from a lifetime of experience within our native culture and traditions. Thank you sir for saying what is obvious, if your not one of us Indigenous Traditionals, it might be better to err, instead of fines and/or jail time.

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I dunno, folks... but any feather I might ever wear would immediately identify me as... a turkey! I'd be identified as a bird of "pray."

Great line.....love it
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woot22 View Post
    That is a fantastic letter Harold, thanks for sharing!! That really answers my question perfectly.
    The direction is quite clear. However, I would still be reluctant to turn up at a clan meeting in Scotland sporting an eagle feather without having had a discussion with the clan chief first, armiger or not. An armigerous clan, might be a different story. This might just be my perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Noted sir.....I only speak from a lifetime of experience within our native culture and traditions. Thank you sir for saying what is obvious, if your not one of us Indigenous Traditionals, it might be better to err, instead of fines and/or jail time.

Hawk
    I have seen the results first hand when misunderstandings happen. When I was younger and very active in the BSA, we had a full eagle feather headdress that had been given to the OA lodge as a gift in the 50s. There was a letter and several documents about it kept with it in the display case. (We never took it out it was far to rare and precious a gift.) The cops were called once because a visiting dignitary from a different tribe saw photos of it, which were obviously in the hands of non-tribesmen.

That was a two week fiasco and all the paperwork was on hand for immediate access.

The local scout camp also sent all feathers found at the camp to the tribe as they could use them. Documentation included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBiker View Post
    The direction is quite clear. However, I would still be reluctant to turn up at a clan meeting in Scotland sporting an eagle feather without having had a discussion with the clan chief first, armiger or not. An armigerous clan, might be a different story. This might just be my perspective.
    Valid point.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to creagdhubh For This Useful Post:

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBiker View Post
    A big Kyle to this. In addition, I would suggest that the same respect apply to a clan or clan association meeting anywhere, and any other kind of meeting as well. I would also point out that anyone wearing an eagle feather with traditional Highland attire would be assumed to be a Scottish armiger, under arms duly matriculated with the Lyon Court, and that otherwise the feather would be considered by some to be a misrepresentation.

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to David Thorpe For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast