X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Single Eagle Feather

Just a quick question about something that sort of popped in my head the other day. First let me say that although I think coats of arms and what not are really neat, I have absolutely no plans on attaining one myself. So this question is strictly academic in nature. If someone attained a coat of arms through legit means, that is to say, the Lord Lyon or some other sanctioned body. And now you can wear the single eagle feather on your bonnet, can you only wear the feather behind the the badge that is related to your new coat of arms? That is to say, if you were wearing a Forbes clan badge, or which ever clan badge, before you had a coat of arms, can you now wear the eagle feather behind your clan badge as well? Just curious if that was considered okay or if once you had your own coat of arms you no longer wore the clan badge. Hope that is not too confusing, it all makes sense in my own head I promise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One you have your personal Arms, it is unlikely you would wish to wear your clan badge on your cap in preference to your personal Arms, so the question is indeed probably academic.
    As it is illegal to purchase eagle feathers here in Scotland, I got a cap badge specially made which incorporates my Personal Arms and an ornamental silver small eagle feather, as is normal practice nowadays with Armigers appointed in recent times.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But could you, I guess legally speaking, wear an eagle feather behind your clan badge? I just it seemed interesting is all, that you might be "allowed" to wear an eagle feather with a clan badge that you may only have very negligible association with, for instance if you were one of the many sept family names under a larger clan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I read, the eagle feather says that the wearer does have his own arms.
    If he wears his own arms/badge why would he nead a feather? The badge would show it.
    On the other hand you might want to be recognisable as a member of a clan and therefore wear the clan badge. At that time it makes sense to wear the feather to show that you would have your own arms.

Obviously I might be wrong. What I'm saying is, that from my point of view the feather makes more sense when worn with the clan badge.
    Last edited by Carlo; 11th August 13 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    From what I read, the eagle feather says that the wearer does have his own arms.
    If he wears his own arms/badge why would he nead a feather? The badge would show it.
    On the other hand you might want to be recognisable as a member of a clan and therefore wear the clan badge. At that time it makes sense to wear the feather to show that you would have your own arms.

Obviously I might be wrong. What I'm saying is, that from my point of view the feather makes more sense when worn with the clan badge.
    Yeah, actually that does make sense putting it that. I always just thought it would seem odd to wear the feather with a clan badge because of the ambiguous nature as to the history of septs and extended families in clans. But when you put it like that I agree it actually makes more sense to wear it with a clan badge.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me add just a tidbit of info here in reference wearing one here in the "states".
    Unless you are an Indigenous Tribal person and have the right to have with you or use a Eagle Feather in the practice of your tribal religion/traditions, you can be fined ($10,000 plus) and even jailed for possessing one. So, simply, unless you are in the above category, don't even consider it. On the other hand, if you have a representation of a eagle feather ( ie, artificial/faux ) that's up to whatever cultural rules that apply to you otherwise ( ie, Scottish, Wales, French, Australian, or whatever...).

Just my 2 cents as a traditional native man.....

Hawk
    Shawnee / Anishinabe and Clan Colquhoun

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Let me add just a tidbit of info here in reference wearing one here in the "states".
    Unless you are an Indigenous Tribal person and have the right to have with you or use a Eagle Feather in the practice of your tribal religion/traditions, you can be fined ($10,000 plus) and even jailed for possessing one. So, simply, unless you are in the above category, don't even consider it. On the other hand, if you have a representation of a eagle feather ( ie, artificial/faux ) that's up to whatever cultural rules that apply to you otherwise ( ie, Scottish, Wales, French, Australian, or whatever...).

Just my 2 cents as a traditional native man.....

Hawk
    This was an academic exercise if I am not mistaken...not a quest to attain and use an ACTUAL eagle feather... Just MY 2 cents...
    Last edited by Spartan Tartan; 11th August 13 at 05:23 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Spartan Tartan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post
    This was an academic exercise if I am not mistaken...not a quest to attain and use an ACTUAL eagle feather... Just MY 2 cents...
    Academic exercise it is but I still enjoyed the real world excursion. I never spent a seconds thought on that matter and I'm rather surprised about the amount you could be fined for something you might (if unlikely) find on the street. On the other hand I wonder who would actually spot the difference between an eagle feather and that of another bird of prey? I certainly wouldn't.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Native Americans are being hassled by the Government over possession of eagle feathers. Stateside its financially risky.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Academic exercise it is but I still enjoyed the real world excursion. I never spent a seconds thought on that matter and I'm rather surprised about the amount you could be fined for something you might (if unlikely) find on the street. On the other hand I wonder who would actually spot the difference between an eagle feather and that of another bird of prey? I certainly wouldn't.
    Finding and using bird of prey feathers in a number of countries is regulated by statute. Always best to check with authorities to get it identified and what the rules are in your locale
    Last edited by Downunder Kilt; 11th August 13 at 09:06 PM.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast