X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lost in the States, need to get back to Europe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of shirt to wear with a kilt

Hi, I'm fairly new to the kilt scene. I was wondering when wearing your kilt to a semi-formal event, what shirt would you wear?

Right now I have a grad banquet coming up and I plan on wearing my kilt.I was planning on wearing a normal white button down with my royal stewart(closes I could find to the Bruce clan) sports kilt.

I'm not planning on wearing a tie so do you think this will look alright?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What kind of shirt to wear with a kilt

Quote Originally Posted by TweedertheScot
    Right now I have a grad banquet coming up and I plan on wearing my kilt.I was planning on wearing a normal white button down with my royal stewart(closes I could find to the Bruce clan) sports kilt.

It should look fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I'm fairly new to the kilt scene. I was wondering when wearing your kilt to a semi-formal event, what shirt would you wear?

Why no tie???

blu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wear a Vest/Wasit Coat also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plain white shirt with any kilt should be fine. In fact, a plain dress shirt, of any colour that compliments those in the kilt is also fine.

The you can formalise it with a wing collar and black bow tie. Add a vest/waistcoat, or treat yourself to a shortie jacket of some description.

Jacobites also look good, but a bit costume-like which I know puts a lot of guys off.

The skies the limit really, but don't wear a patterned shirt with a tartan kilt. Keep it plain. After all, the kilt should be the centre of attention.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should look good.
    I'm thinking about getting a button cover, instead of a tie, it's a thing you put over your top button, here is a link, I like the "not too fancy" ones.
    http://tuxgear.safeshopper.com/21/cat21.htm?152

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the board Tyler, hope you enjoy it here.

With a nick like tweederthescot I would say a tweed jacket (Argyle style) with a shirt and tie would look good, if you can hire it somewhere.

A jacobite shirt also looks great with a kilt, if not white shirt and waistcoat with or without a tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blu (Ontario)

Why no tie???

blu
    Hello there, TweedertheScot... I'm still curious Why no tie??? A kilt and shirt with no jacket and tie is fine but is not "semi-formal" attire. To me what you are proposing is like wearing sneakers with a good suit. Believe me, I'm not blind to what younger folks are wearing these days and I'm also not one who wears ties on a regular basis. I don't even like ties particularly... but sometimes they add the "spit and polish" to an outfit that tells people you didn't just climb off of a turnip truck. Sorry..., unless I'm missing something here, I think you should wear a tie. A graduation dinner is one of those times... IMHO.

blu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For semi formal I wear a light blue Air Force uniform shirt and tie. The color goes good with my blue/green Donegal Kilt, and the epaulets on the shoulders are typical of Kilt Jackets.

Lost in the States, need to get back to Europe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about that there blu.

Why no tie eh, well because I don't own one. If I can find a regular black tie, then I'll see what I can do. I have a jacket that might go with the kilt, but I'll have have to hold it up and see if it goes with the kilt. I want to make sure the kilt gets the attention. CBlessing and I'll show some pics of the event afterwards.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast