X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone recommend a good kilt belt?

I'm looking for a new kilt belt. Can anyone tell me what they like about theirs?

Larry
    "A chef is someone creative enough to call the same soup a different name every day"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essentially, a belt is a belt. Get whatever appeals to your esthetic sense. I like the wider belts because I can tuck my house keys into it when I go outside to do something. Some people. like me, like big fancy buckles, some don't. It's all a matter of personal taste. Skinny belts don't look right, IMO, so get at least an inch and a half. As for sellers, you could simply have one made by a local leathershop or buy from the kilt sites. The key is get what looks good to you and what you find comfortable to wear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Anyone recommend a good kilt belt?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kilted Chef
    I'm looking for a new kilt belt. Can anyone tell me what they like about theirs?

Larry
    My kilt belt is from L&M Highland Outfitters made in Nova Scotia. It was made from thick leather and has been very sturdy. It is 2-1/4" wide and takes a standard kilt belt buckle. My only complaint is that the thick leather loop at the buckle makes length adjustment a bit crude. I agree with Bubba that skinny belts made for trousers don't quite make the grade. My wife is quite in agreement on that point as well.

blu

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a number of belts that work well. One of my favorites is the belt that came off my first motorcycle jacket many years ago. The jacket no longer fits but the belt works great with my kilts. I like the wide 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" belts. Check out some of the belts in better hardware stores, some of them carry belts intended to support tools that could be just as nice as much more expensive belts from the scottish shops. I have a really cool old worn belt that was originally some part of a harness rig, so you might even check a western tack shop or co-op. All that really matters is that it be good quality leather and massive enough to go with the macho image created by swagering down the street in a kilt.

Jamie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bearkilts.com/belts.html

I have two of these now. One black, one brown. These are great belts, and can be worn casually or formally. In fact I wore one with a suit to a wedding last week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was into historical receating...the fur trade era...for years, and still attend the trade shows. Mountain men are big on serious belts. I bought a great 2-1/2" harness leather belt at a rendezvous last fall; hand-forged buckle & all, for $26. I think I could tow a truck with this thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

belts

Being a Ren Faire fanatic, I have aquired many types and styles of belt, most of which look great with a Kilt.
    Here's a couple of the sites for leather workers that I use...

http://www.eeldrytch.com these guys make several styles of wider belts{3 1/4in. is the standard width}, good full grain leather, and reasonably priced for the quality.

http://www.theinnerbailey.com/ fast,personal service, top quality, if you want something smaller, or in a more medieval style, I have purchased several items from them and all are highest quality.

most will do custom work if you know what you're looking for, and can't find it, I can highly reccomend these craftsmen...

And to Mike in VA, I purchased one of your belts with my AK, and would like to commend you on your craftsmanship.

{and yes, I did post this same info in the Kilt Advice thread}
    "Illigitimus Non Secundium Est!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll chech those out!

Larry
    "A chef is someone creative enough to call the same soup a different name every day"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said under the advice thread, I have couple of LLBean bridle leather belts which look good on the kilt.

In addition, they accommodate thermal molded knife sheaths, such as concealex.

Casey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering what to wear with my kilt casually, as the belt I had was WAY too formal. I dug through my old gear and came up with the Sam Brown belt (law enforcement type) I had from when I was a deputy. Turns out it's the perfect width, and the basket-weave pattern looks great.
    Try finding one in a pawnshop somewhere.

I also sometimes wear a military web-belt with my camo kilt.