X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran alternative?

My first two kilts are Utilikilts with pockets, so no sporran was necessary. Now i'm in the middle of getting my first wool/traditional kilt. I have an old leather belt pouch I found on Ebay (I am not addicted I can quit any time I want!) that was once some part of a Postmans uniform. I'm dying it black and modifying it to fit on a belt properly (the loops were way too small for a good belt). I'll probably wear it off to one side or towards my back next to my multi-tool.

My question is does anybody else have any reccomendations for wallet and keys aside from a sporran? I have nothing against sporrans, but I am looking for something else, perhaps a more modern/casual version that would fit a bit better with the newer styles of kilts out there these days.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Sporran alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    My first two kilts are Utilikilts with pockets, so no sporran was necessary. Now i'm in the middle of getting my first wool/traditional kilt. I have an old leather belt pouch I found on Ebay (I am not addicted I can quit any time I want!) that was once some part of a Postmans uniform. I'm dying it black and modifying it to fit on a belt properly (the loops were way too small for a good belt). I'll probably wear it off to one side or towards my back next to my multi-tool.

My question is does anybody else have any reccomendations for wallet and keys aside from a sporran? I have nothing against sporrans, but I am looking for something else, perhaps a more modern/casual version that would fit a bit better with the newer styles of kilts out there these days.
    Hi Chance!

Belt pouches are absolutely fine with the kilt - provided you are not formally dressed. I have several in black and brown leather, to match the belt I might be wearing. However, they are not best comfortable if worn with a jacket. On the other hand, if you are wearing a jacket with plenty of pocket space, you probably would not have need of anything else. If you can cram all you need to carry into a belt pouch, that's OK for casual wear.

I always wear mine just to the front of my right hip. It's more accessible there and a better security risk in crowded places than it would be towards the back!
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often wear a black leather bag referred to here as a "bum bag" or in the US a "fanny bag". I call it my work sporran.

It is zippered with a couple of compartments and I can get a lot of stuff in it.
    I wear it more than a traditional sporran.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chance,

If your talking about a wool kilt I've noticed that the sporran serves another purpose besides a pocket. With some of my lighter weight kilts I sometimes feel a little..."exposed" (like wearing wet swim trunks without proper support if you get my drift). The sporran provides a little weight to hold the kilt down and makes me feel a bit more secure. Besides, the sporran, either traditional or contemporary like Graham suggests, just seems to look right with a wool kilt.

Jamie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chance -

As others have said, if you're wearing your kilt casually then a belt pouch or bum bag is fine, but if you're wearing any kind of top with pockets then you don't need either. I hardly ever wear a sporran when dressed casually and never when out hiking etc.

However, if you're dressing at all formally then a proper sporran is an essential part of the traditional wool kilt outfit.

Some like the feeling of security a sporran gives them, but in fact the benefit is more psychological than actual - any wind that is strong enough to "lift" a medium or heavier weight wool kilt is likely to lift the sporran with it (unless you've filled it with a couple of kilos of loose change or something!).

Mr. Kilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Graham, I also use a black leather "bum bag" as a sporran. My kilt is mainly for casual use only so I'm not too worried about having a "proper" sporran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a black fanny pack as well. My son gave me some nice oil tanned leather though, so i'll probably take a swing at making a sporran out of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't own a "bum bag" of any kind nor do I want one. Not my style. Also, I will only wear a sporran when its needed or when the ocassion calls for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always dare to be different, and I am doing a little bit of experiment with a travel wallet that I bought from a outdoor store.

The wallet isn't big but it has serval compartments for credit card/money/cell phone/IDs. It is supposed to be worn around your neck with the strap it comes with or affix to your belt with the belt loops.

With the strap, I wear the wallet Sporran Style.

Here is a picture:

http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Pr...s/4009375s.jpg

It only costs $7 CDN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran alternative

The "bum bag" is what I use a lot for casual wear. I have a homemade "Rob Roy" style sporran I wear a lot also. Casually I think you can go with just about anything your comfortable with!
    I've survived DAMN near everything
    Acta non Verba

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast