X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luxury Tweed Argyll Jacket

Good evening,

I am looking to add a tweed jacket. I saw a color swatch which was listed as Fen Green which I think may have been Green Fen Lovat. Looking at your luxury tweed colors online, I suspect it is similar to your Forest Green. Does this sound fair? Would you say the difference between forest and highland green is that the highland has more blue? Forest appears more subtle.

I am looking for a jacket that would go with Royal Stewart and Fraser Hunting Muted. I also have Dark Isle that I think it would work too.

Does any of your tweed come with a chevron?
    Last edited by RunTheWorldOnMac; 17th August 13 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott: May I ask to whom your questions are addressed? They suggest that you may be making inquiries to someone who you assume is a dealer in tweed jackets. If so, you are mistaken. This is an open (with certain broad exceptions) forum about kilts and all manner of Scottish attire and accoutrement. We'll be happy to help you if we can, but I doubt anyone on the forum can address your very specific questions about tweed and its colors.

Cheers!

John
    Last edited by mookien; 17th August 13 at 09:58 PM.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all fairness John he has posted this in the sponsors sub forum for Buyakilt, so if the question is addressed to Buyakilt its where it should be. Cheers.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    In all fairness John he has posted this in the sponsors sub forum for Buyakilt, so if the question is addressed to Buyakilt its where it should be. Cheers.
    Simon: Thanks for the clarification. I did not notice that Scot's post was in a vendor forum (buyakilt.com). He'll probably get a response on Monday.

John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries my friend. Hope you are having a great weekend.
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott,

We do indeed monitor this forum so will usually pick up questions here, although I would suggest that for a quicker response, it's better to email info@buyakilt.com directly. We aim to respond to emails within 2 working hours during our office hours (Mon-Fri 09:00-17:30) and the customer service guys/girls are pretty good at doing that. Me on the other hand...

I've created a ticket in our support system for you now with your message above. I found your email address from your order last year - I was sure I remembered talking to you on here before. I remember wondering if your username was about the Apple products, or about Scottish Clans (being a MACdonald!). I suspect the former and hope the latter!

We'll get back to you properly in the ticket, but for reference to others:

Fen Green is not a colour I'm familiar with. If it's a 'Lovat' shade then it's usually a bit dusty or 'faded!', while the Highland and Forest Greens area bit richer and brighter. Both are nice, and it does appear that the Highland has more blue in it, but Rachel will confirm after looking at the swatches.

we have swatches of these fabrics which we can send out if required, and usually have them around the office so Rachel should be able to advise on the colours more accurately.

I don't think any of the tweeds are herringbone, but again we can double check tomorrow morning.

Based on the tartans you've suggested, I wonder if a grey tweed might be nice? The charcoal is a regular dark tweed, but we also do a Lochinvar Grey Tweed (which is my favourite) which is similar to our Grey Tweed Jacket. Photo 2 on the product shows the fabric quite well.

Hope this helps and will get back to you fully tomorrow morning.
    Fergus Macdonald from Kilt Society™.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I knew that Rachel monitored this forum and figured my questions might help another. Good memory! I bought a black argyle jacket last summer to wear at my wedding..

My alias is Apple Mac related being a Simpson, I am part of the Fraser clan...nothing wrong with MacDonald though!

I will take a look at the grey you suggest! The grey my shop had was too dark, basically a charcoal. A nice grey would do well.

Here is a link to the Green Fen Lovat. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...RK3921pGMU&v=3
    Last edited by RunTheWorldOnMac; 18th August 13 at 03:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case Rachel take a look here first; I think I am interested in the crail jacket over the argyll. There is no picture on your website but after searching the term realized this is what I am looking for. Can't seem to find any reference online to "lochnivar grey tweed" to get a look at the color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Scott,

I've been able to reply to the ticket sent through over the weekend. I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info on any of the colours/styles.

The Fen Tweed is similar to the Lovat Green. The lighter colours and blue fleck are very similar. Images of these tartans are shown on the item page (http://buyakilt.com/luxury-tweed-crail-jacket), but I've attached an image of them all next to one another so that others can see the differences.

I hope that helps others who may have the same question.

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Rachel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is indeed very useful Rachel, thank you for posting it here, it does help us to see swatches side by side for comparison purposes.

Incidently now your a member in your own right, why don't you say hi on the new members forum, we don't bite (often) and I am sure that with your insider knowledge you can contribute much to the forum.
    Best regards
    Simon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast