X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blazoning Of Arms?

Hello,can anyone help me Blazoning this arms:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	13891.

Sorry,I am still not sure about posting pictures on here.

The crest is a On a torse azure (blue) and og. (Gold or yellow),A Wolf rampant sa.(black).It has red eyes and nails,and is holding a sable handled and argent headed hammer.It is wearing a gold eastern crown.

The shield is blue,with a per chevron that is erminois.The shield has Yorkshire Rose(in North Riding and West Riding style),between a black and red crescent(on the viewer's left),and a black and red furison(flint-striker;on the viewer's right).Thank-you very much.

Thank-you and stand sure,

Ethan Walling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azure, parted per chevron erminois between a crescent and furison gules and sable, and in chief a Yorkshire Rose proper.

See A Complete Guide To Heraldry, Arthur Charles Fox-Davies, 1909, Ch.8

Understand that there are rules regarding the use of crescents as cadency in English Heraldry.
    As well, there are rules to placement and priority of position for Charges and Ordinaries upon Escutcheon in Heraldry...namely Scottish Heraldry.
    Finally, the specificity with which you place the three ordinaries and their particular color does not conform to the conventions of traditional or historic Heraldry. This does not make your Armorial wrong. It simply allows for multiple opinions on Blazonry, of which mine is but one.

I can explain my rationale if you'd like.
    Slainte,
    Domehead
    Last edited by Domehead; 5th September 13 at 07:07 AM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Domehead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank-you very much,that would be interesting to see your rational explained,since I am a first son,I might have to change the crescent.Thank-you again.

Ethan Walling
    Last edited by Ethanintn; 5th September 13 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well.
    Initially, one must remember it is the escutcheon or shield that is to be easily read from distance. The rules regarding the use of tincture and metals exist so that the field, charges, ordinaries and sub-ordinaries can be readily delineated: tincture upon metal, metal upon tincture; identifiable or "typical" symbols of archetype; shapes and items clearly indicative of renown skills, trades, crafts or business are used so a traveler can easily "read" the escutcheon above the Manor archway from safe distance.

There are exceptions to these rules, but they are exceptions. With your escutcheon, the chevron erminois is a "Royal" indicator. It does not have to be "Royalty", but if the escutcheon in question, or indeed the family petitioning for matriculation are not of Peerage, most often the use of ermine or erminois is indicative of a historic association with a member of Peerage: military service in honor of, defense of or in service to a member of Peerage; particular familial exploits which warranted Royal consideration; dedicated service to causes both civil and altruistic necessitating Royal attention. Any of the afore mentioned reasons may prod a Sovereign to "award" an ordinary in ermine or eminois.

However, the fact that your escutcheon's field is so parted, this is an indication of marshalling: two escutcheons, one azure the other erminois of Peerage, perhaps neither with a chevron but ultimately united into one family and matriculated.

Secondly, when blazoning "per chevron" with three ordinaries, the most basic is two in chief (above) and one in base (below) the chevron.
    This positioning, because it would have required no explanation, is not specified in the blazon. The fact that you have all three ordinaries in chief requires consideration before pen-to-paper.

As well, your positioning in chief is not exact. You have only one in chief, that being the Yorkshire Rose. The crescent and the furison are actually in dexter and in sinister relative to the escutcheon, but above the chevron. Again, this requires consideration before pen-to-paper.

Also, the tinctures you've selected to illustrate your ordinaries are specific to your escutcheon, but not common to ordinaries. They are not "in proper" nor are they a single metal contrasting the azure upon which they rest. This requires consideration before pen-to-paper.

In order of precedence, the chief position is blazoned first, then dexter. However, the ordinary in the chief position is very specific to that position and very specific in depiction upon a tincture field. I feel, it need be blazoned after the field, the field parted, the primary charge and subsequent ordinaries of specific tincture and position.

You have an escutcheon which can be blazoned in field, the field parted, a primary charge and then subsequent ordinaries: Azure, parted per chevron erminois between...,

You desire ordinaries with specific tinctures in common, positioned in two of the three common positions for a three ordinary escutcheon per chevron. The use of the word "between" communicates the placement of two ordinaries in common position above the chevron. I specify the ordinaries in the order of priority position - dexter (crescent) to sinister (furison) - which should be understood to the artist. They have specific tincture in common, therefor blazoned last as is appropriate, again in priority position - chief (gules) to base (sable): ...a crescent and a furison gules and sable...,

Finally, I blazon the Yorkshire Rose, which is not of common position for three ordinaries on a per chevron escutcheon. Nor is it of an archetype symbol (cinquefoil). It is specifically a Yorkshire Rose "in proper": ...and in chief a Yorkshire Rose proper.

When taken together: Azure, parted per chevron erminois between a crescent and a furison gules and sable, and in chief a Yorkshire Rose proper

Like I said, your vision deviates from some conventions, which doesn't make it wrong or unsuitable. It simply requires consideration before blazonry can be best ascribed.

With regards to the particular field and ordinaries you've selected, one must determine first what message they need to inscribe upon their escutcheon and then utilize those symbols which best convey that message. This will clear up Peerage, cadency, tincture, metals, symbols, etc.

If you have any more questions, feel free.
    Slainte,
    Domehead
    Last edited by Domehead; 6th September 13 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling & punctuation

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Domehead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethanintn View Post
    Hello,can anyone help me Blazoning this arms:

Sorry,I am still not sure about posting pictures on here.

The crest is a On a torse azure (blue) and og. (Gold or yellow),A Wolf rampant sa.(black).It has red eyes and nails,and is holding a sable handled and argent headed hammer.It is wearing a gold eastern crown.

The shield is blue,with a per chevron that is erminois.The shield has Yorkshire Rose(in North Riding and West Riding style),between a black and red crescent(on the viewer's left),and a black and red furison(flint-striker;on the viewer's right).Thank-you very much.

Ethan Walling
    Hi Ethan,

I disagree with Domehead's blazon. I would make it -

Per chevron Azure and Erminois in chief a Yorkshire rose Proper to dexter a crescent per crescent Gules and Sable and to sinister a fursion Sable garnished Gules

For crest: A rampant wolf Sable armed and eyed Gules wearing an eastern crown Or and holding a hammer hafted Sable and headed Argent.

All that having been said, some of this, is not good heraldry.

Although many ignore it, the tincture rule is called such because it is a rule. The crescent and the furison should really be either silver or gold. The crescent, can be bi-coloured, but normally isn't. The line halfway through it is to show shading (possibly white and grey), not two colours. Gold would probably be the best choice as it matches the Erminois.

If it were me, I would reduce the charges on the blue to two and place them higher. They can be same or different, but really should be pertinent to your life. Not just today, but to your life projected forward for another 60 years +.

Just for neatness, I usually write blazons in italics - that way it sets it apart in a block of text. Easier to read. To that end, I always capitalise all the furs, metals and colours. As they act as the punctuation of the blazon, it is easier to see where one bit ends and the next starts.

I think that you have made a good start, but what ever you do, do not rush the process. My own shield took me almost four years - not continuous of course - I was working shifts and raising a family at the time.

Good luck and good designing. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by Chas; 5th September 13 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,and thank-you Mr.Chas and Domehead,for your blazonry help,I will more than likely change a couple of things on it,though.The wolf was because,my last name loosely translates into Gaelic,as little wolf(Whelan is the variation that translates into it).The hammer is because,I am a fifth-generation blacksmith.

The erminois was because my family used to be longhunters on the frontier of Kentucky,Tennessee,and Virginia,and the tails brought that to mind.The furison pretty much reminded me of my blacksmithing and my family's traditional frontier lifestyle.The crescent was basically just there.The Yorkshire rose was because my family was originally from Rotherham in Yorkshire(14 generations ago).

Ethan Walling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any records of a powder horn being used in heraldry?

Ethan Walling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, primarily US Military blazoning of vintage Unit insignia, defined as strength in reserve.

However, one is not bound by the symbols denoted in the works of Fox-Davies, Parker, The American College of Heraldry, The Scottish Heraldry Society, etc.

If a powder horn conveys your truth succinctly, choose it. Then use the archetype powder horn which fits the majority schema: silhouette, shoulder strap, crown to dexter, tincture or metal, etc. Determine placement upon the field and from this point make adjustments to the specific image which may convey deeper meaning, such as crown to base, or "in proper", etc.

Slainte,
    Domehead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,I have a new design,here it is:

Views:	5 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	13931 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	9 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	13933 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	13934

Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	13935 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	4 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	13939 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	6 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	13937

Is there anything I need to change,and also,what is the blazon of this or the correct version?I am not sure if I need to change the Yorkshire Rose or not.

On the viewer's right is a rooster holding a trefoil vert,standing on top of a anvil sable,with a hand in benediction or above him.

On the bottom is a stag's head erased and a (Welsh) red dragon's head erased.

My motto is Gladius Domini et Gedeonis.

Ethan Walling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking about changing the crown to a Phrygian Cap,because I am trying to join the Washington County Regiment of the North Carolina Militia,and we (the militiamen) fought against the crown during the Revolutionary War.

Ethan Walling

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast