X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    You and I must be of a similar vintage.
    Ah, yes, "vintage" is a good word for it - "aged", like fine wine! Even though I grew up with slide rules, it still amazes me that young NASA engineers brought the doomed Apollo 13 mission safely back to Earth using slide rules...!

Interesting that you mention the MacDonald/MacDonnell of Keppoch tartan as I own a 4 yd box pleat in thie ancient version of this tartan as I belong to this Clan.
    Ooh - I love these kinds of coincidences - makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful tartan, and breathtaking craftsmanship Barb!
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I]I'm only off-kilter when my kilt is off.

[/I][/COLOR][I]"I'll take a Scot on the rocks. *wink* " [/I]<--- by far the best pick-up line I have ever heard [COLOR=#0000cd][/COLOR]:lol:

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful tartan, Barb.

Now all it needs, is a rock hammer kilt pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb T View Post
    ....Slide rules! I remember slide rules. When I took intro chemistry in college, we had to have slide rules because they didn't allow us to have calculators because they were so expensive that most people couldn't afford them. Can't say that I miss those days, however!
    I remember thinking we were lucky to be able to use a slide rule during a final. I have two different sized E6B's (pilot's circular slide rule) in my flight bag. An E6B is actually faster to use for distance/fuel consumption/speed calculations than a calculator.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T View Post
    Ah, yes, "vintage" is a good word for it - "aged", like fine wine! Even though I grew up with slide rules, it still amazes me that young NASA engineers brought the doomed Apollo 13 mission safely back to Earth using slide rules...!

Ooh - I love these kinds of coincidences - makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!
    I've changed my avatar to a picture taken in my MacDonnell of Keppoch (ancient) at the Calgary Highland games this year....
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice and original tartan !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander31 View Post
    snip...

I remember thinking we were lucky to be able to use a slide rule during a final. I have two different sized E6B's (pilot's circular slide rule) in my flight bag. An E6B is actually faster to use for distance/fuel consumption/speed calculations than a calculator.
    Remember I caused a stir at one of my exams by insisting that I be allowed to use my slide rule (in early 2000s) as the rubric only forbade electronic calculators (I won!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12