X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mull Millenium kilt - the geologist's tartan!

As many of you know, I'm a geologist as well as a kiltmaker. Although there is no occupational tartan for geologists, the Mull Millenium tartan is about as close as you can come to a geologist's tartan. Designed by Rosalind Jones (who was a geologist from the Isle of Mull) and Peter MacDonald, the tartan is based on the geology of the Isle of Mull. It's quite a beautiful and unusual tartan, and I've just finished a kilt for a customer in a custom weave of the tartan. Thought I'd share a pic:

The colors in the Isle of Mull tartan are based on the geology of Mull. Here's the way Rosalind described it:

"The Isle of Iona is represented by green and white for its famous green and white marble. Navy blue surrounds representing the sea dividing Iona from Mull. The Isle of Mull is embodied by five colors representing a cross section from Fionnphort in the west through to Glen More at Mull's centre. Starting with the beautiful pink Caledonian Ross of Mull granite, grey follows for the Moine schists at Bunessan and the Jurassic shales at Carsaig. Black represents the Tertiary basalt lava flows which overlie Mull's ancient basement rocks. Yellow depicts Mull's unique ring dyke, finally dark green represents dolerites and gabbros found in Mull's mountainous heart."

It's the only truly "geological" tartan I know of. For those of you non-geologists, when Rosalind refers to a "cross section from Fionnphort in the west through to Glen More at Mull's centre", she's referring to a geological cross section, a vertical slice view that shows the geology below the surface along a particular geographic line.

Oh - and for anyone out there who is a newbie and wondering what the big white stitches are, they are basting stitches that I leave in for shipping so that the pleats don't get wonky in the mail. The customer will carefully remove them before wearing the kilt!!
    Last edited by Barb T; 29th June 17 at 01:03 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb.... that is an interesting tartan. I am an Engineer - is there an "engineering" tartan? Perhaps with a depiction of a slide rule (showing my age).

Cheers....Bill
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of a tartan specifically for engineers, but the historical 71st Engineer Regiment in Scotland wore the MacDonald of Keppoch.

Slide rules! I remember slide rules. When I took intro chemistry in college, we had to have slide rules because they didn't allow us to have calculators because they were so expensive that most people couldn't afford them. Can't say that I miss those days, however!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You use the slide rule as a kilt pin.

Still got two slide rules AND several OLD books on their use.

But I love those colors on the Mull Millenium...earthy...appropriately enough.

Best

AA
    ANOTHER KILTED LEBOWSKI AND...HEY, CAREFUL, MAN, THERE'S A BEVERAGE HERE!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to auld argonian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely gorgeous! I love the colours, the colour scheme, the sett size...just wonderful. Well done, Barb!

Best wishes,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely tartan Barb, couldn't help but think that it was similar to the Arizona state tartan. Hope Ron won't mind but have pinched his pic from another thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	14048
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T View Post
    I don't know of a tartan specifically for engineers, but the historical 71st Engineer Regiment in Scotland wore the MacDonald of Keppoch.

Slide rules! I remember slide rules. When I took intro chemistry in college, we had to have slide rules because they didn't allow us to have calculators because they were so expensive that most people couldn't afford them. Can't say that I miss those days, however!
    You and I must be of a similar vintage. Interesting that you mention the MacDonald/MacDonnell of Keppoch tartan as I own a 4 yd box pleat in thie ancient versionof this tartan as I belong to this Clan.

Slainte...Bill
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auld argonian View Post
    You use the slide rule as a kilt pin.
    Nope. Wear it like a dirk. Or get a 24-incher and carry it as a rod of office.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm! Very nice, and very geeky!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Lovely tartan Barb, couldn't help but think that it was similar to the Arizona state tartan. Hope Ron won't mind but have pinched his pic from another thread.
    You know, I think it's not too surprising that the color ranges are similar. The geology of Arizona is "in your face" wherever you go, so it's inevitable that the geology and scenery would be reflected in the state tartan! Go geology!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast