X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Heavier and Longer Caber for Pitlochry Games

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/he...toss-1-3087280
    It seems that the heavy athletes found the old 17 foot 92 pounds caber too easy to toss.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to cessna152towser For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex, the old caber is the size of the Championship caber for the 50+ class at Pleasanton. Both Roger76 and I have gotten multiple turns on that caber, and I turned it 3x at Pleasanton last year. Any "pro" level athlete, "A" class athlete will turn that easily.

I hear from Sinclair Patience that Inverness has a new caber, after they broke two of the old ones in 2011. He says it's "long and heavy" and since there's video of Sinclair NOT turning it.....and Sinclair shared the 2013 overall Scottish Championships AND took second overall at Braemar this year, that is saying something.

I hope it dries out a bit and they cut a foot off of it before I get there, next summer!
    Last edited by Alan H; 15th September 13 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new one is 18 feet and 100 pounds. That's a solid "A" class caber. I probably can't turn that one unless it's fairly top-heavy. It may dry out to more like 90 pounds, but adding that foot of length increases the difficulty, significantly.

Our practice group has a 70-75 pound, 19-footer with no taper whatsoever, and I've never come close to turning it, though our resident A class lad can knock it over, 4x out of 5 tries.