X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Dr Maturin:

"I beg your pardon. You were speaking of wetting a swab."

Jack Aubrey:

"Oh, yes. It is a cant expression we have in the Navy. The swab is this" -patting his epaulette- "and when first we ship it, we wet it: that is to say, we drink a bottle or two of wine."

"Indeed?" said Maturin with a civil inclination of his head. "A decoration, a badge of rank, I make no doubt? A most elegant ornament, so it is, upon my soul. But, my dear sir, have you not forgot the other one?"

"Well," said Jack, laughing, "I dare say I shall put them both on, by and by."

(edited with the actual quote, now that I have the book in front of me)
    It's called a dog watch because it is curtailed!

Thank you - I do love a bit of Maturin and Aubrey; I'm on my second circuit and am always hassling friends to read them. I'm currently working on Mrs Lime to take a trip down to Portsmouth with me for a gander at HMS Victory and the new Marie Rose museum.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post

Thank you - I do love a bit of Maturin and Aubrey; I'm on my second circuit and am always hassling friends to read them. I'm currently working on Mrs Lime to take a trip down to Portsmouth with me for a gander at HMS Victory and the new Marie Rose museum.
    I've read the entire canon once, and certain books twice. I really need to read the entire canon once again!

Here is Yours Truly on the deck of HMS Victory... it was a "must see" on our holiday

and my kids (who are now both in college!) on the deck of the HMS Surprise, San Diego, California

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th September 13 at 06:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123