X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Dressing down a culture"

I thought this was an interesting commentary on the "slobbing down" of society, especially since I think most kilt wearers tend to "dress up" and take more pride in how their dress whilst kilted.

Comments?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162...g-to-dress-up/
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see kilties doing it pretty "slobbily" too at times, but I'm generally somewhere between disappointed and disgusted with people who normally dress as if they're cleaning out the garage, male, female, kilted or no.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a very young boy--5-7 or so--my grandfather would pick me up to go downtown. We wore coats and ties if not full suits, even hats. We would get our shoes shined and attend to whatever. It was expected that men would dress appropriately when out on the town, even during the day.

I miss those days and I really hate it when men do not remove their hats at the dinner table.

And even now I do not dress like cleaning out the garbage unless I am cleaning out the garbage. I just like to dress well; my grandfather would approve. That's why I like the Fall best--it's easier to be a spiffy dresser when you can do tweed and sweaters. Ha.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to thescot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I see kilties doing it pretty "slobbily" too at times, but I'm generally somewhere between disappointed and disgusted with people who normally dress as if they're cleaning out the garage, male, female, kilted or no.
    I am not disgusted, but I am disappointed when I see people dressed as you describe Bill. I quite accept that the weather does influence how one dresses as does what we are intending to do, but one can still look moderately smart even in casual mode and with little or no effort.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th May 13 at 07:54 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that there are two extremes. Wearing a jacket and tie ALL the time seems a bit excessive to me. On the other hand, I think we have gone too far in the other direction. Some men I know NEVER wear a jacket and tie, or even just a tie. I like dressing up, either Saxon or Scottish. And I have a certain minimum style before I walk out my door. Of course, I'm a card carrying altecocker.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post

I miss those days and I really hate it when men do not remove their hats at the dinner table.
    I wish people could appreciate how ethnocentric this whole hats off in doors or at the table thing is. I understand the longing for days gone by with formality and manners, but many people wear the hat at the table as a sign of politeness and respect.

We aren't in a Christian only society and things aren't always as they appear. Just because someone has headdress on in doors, doesn't necessarily mean they are a boor without manners.

They might be Jewish or muslim...
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you asked....

I'm very very very happy I do not wear a suit to work any longer. At best, it did nothing. At worst, it made for an uncomfortable day of programming. I still own one. I've worn it twice in the last eight years - to job interviews.

That being said, I would never wear PJs outside the home.

Cultures change.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan.

As someone who has no religious affiliations, I do hear what you say and I am sympathetic to cultures other than my own, but generally speaking "my house, my rules" and "your house, your rules" apply here. Now if a guest to my house has specific cultural reasons for doing something different then I hope reason will prevail, but there is no excuse for bad manners and slovenliness from wherever it comes.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th May 13 at 08:41 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Nathan.

I hear what you say and I am sympathetic to cultures other than my own, but generally speaking "my house, my rules" and "your house, your rules" apply here. Now if a guest to my house has specific cultural reasons for doing something different then I hope reason will prevail, but-------.
    Indeed. Reason should prevail. I agree with your sentiment here. I just think that given the diversity among which we all live now, people ought to give that a thought before they gasp and judge.

Getting back to the main thread, most people conform to the fashion of the day so even those with a desire to get "dressed up" are constantly asked, "what's the occasion?" and "why are you so dressed up?"

Many people choose their wardrobes to fit into a social group or attract a partner or keep a job. I enjoy fashion but have been called out for being a dandy on a few occasions. A golf shirt and khakis would not raise any eyebrows in a great many professional and casual social contexts nowadays.

I agree it's a pity and don't really play along, but I can't fault those that go with the flow.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Jock's statement about slovenliness and bad manners . . .and go a bit further. Slovenliness is bad manners in any context, public or private. It disrespects any context into which it is introduced and disrespects all others upon whom it is thrust. I also believe this extends from manner of attire to manner of speech.

Public attire and public speech has become less a personal expression than a public statement of how little some care about the feelings of others. You can see and hear it at weddings, funerals, graduations and the list goes on.

Good manners is simply respect for those with whom we associate at work, in the neighborhood, and various occasions with differing levels of formality. There is no excuse to leave them behind when venturing out into the public square.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast