X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disrespected in my own yard.

So the story begins, I'm dressed for working in the yard on a cool Autumn morning. Today I decided to wear my Heritage of Ireland kilt, brown leather accessories and bison hose and brown 8 inch lace-up boots. My wife and I are outside, enjoying the beautiful weather. My wife is a distributor for a hydroponic garden product, one of her rep's called and said she would be bring a potential client over to take a look at our tower gardens. My wife's rep shows up with her potential client, they come into the backyard and introductions are made when she looks over at me and says "nice skirt". I say nothing, because it is really not worth my time, my wife pops in with that I'm celebrating my heritage and wear a kilt any time I'm not at work.

My wife goes about showing and talking about the product and just keeps getting a negative response. Why this person even wanted to look at are garden, then just keep being negative is beyond me. She is a Native American who the whole time was talking about mother earth and her "Heritage". She was just disagreeing with my wife and telling her she was wrong and that the plants need the soil. My wife is a internationally certified arborist and a horticultural consultant. She and her sister are horticultural consultants specializing in the diagnosis of plant diseases. My wife has a bachelors degree in biology and her sister has a masters degree in horticulture. Anyway with someone so in tune with their heritage I just don't understand being so rude about mine.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've run into that before too. Some people are very ethnocentric. I you don't share their heritage, you are just a barbarian. It is just proof that the white man does not have a lock on being small minded, you will find that in every hue.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to bdkilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    I've run into that before too. Some people are very ethnocentric. I you don't share their heritage, you are just a barbarian. It is just proof that the white man does not have a lock on being small minded, you will find that in every hue.
    I get that a lot here too. I have found if you are comfortable and sure of yourself it tends to get a reaction from people who are not.
    KILTED LABOWSKI

"I imagine a place of brotherhood and peace, a world without war. Then I imagine attacking that place because they would never expect it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can legislate neither intelligence, understanding, nor decency. That's why we come together here in a world where we can give one-another virtual support.

Hang tough & kilt on!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an awesome outfit to me!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clint Eastwood said it best in Gran Torino, "Get off my lawn!"
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

9. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Clint Eastwood said it best in Gran Torino, "Get off my lawn!"
    Yeah, but it's easy to do that when you have a PBR in one hand and a Garand in the other.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richrail View Post
    Anyway with someone so in tune with their heritage I just don't understand being so rude about mine.
    Many, probably more accurately most, indigenous peoples of whatever continent had a name for themselves. In their own language, this typically meant "people", or "The People". By definition, anyone else was NOT PEOPLE. If you aren't people, you have no heritage or religion and therefore are open to whatever use People choose to make of you. Many were reasonably friendly, some were not. Remembering that we're all cousins can get us beyond such limited thinking. Much anthropology was written from an outsider's viewpoint, and the subtleties of the languages was often not understood by the writers. Also, in some cases these details were not translated by those not wishing to appear as bigoted as they actually were. That was then. Now we can do it differently.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 2nd October 13 at 01:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you have the satisfaction of knowing you were dealing with a disrespectful person when she aimed criticism at your wife's cultivation methods and not only at your kilt.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are some people who are the first to cry about any perceived disrespect for their own interests and traditions and the first to show none for the interests and traditions of others.

Or of those who do not do something exactly the same way that they do.

I would likely have told the client where to get off.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McClef For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast