X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 52 of 102 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedsawyer View Post
    ... And.............so what did I receive as my birthday gift from my stepson this past weekend? Talisker Storm. Nice, peaty, and I'll drink it to his health. I of course did not tell him that it was not my favorite, accepted it graciously, but I did have to explain to him the nature of peat. He's young.
    You did the right thing, stepdad. Good for you. Who knows, you might develop a taste for peaty malts.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank: You're welcome anytime. Just give me a little notice ...

I truly love Macallan 12. It has one of the highest, if not the highest, quality/price ratios of any whisky I have tried. After paying for and tasting some malts, it's hard to believe Macallan can make a scotch that good for that price.

John

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Frank: You're welcome anytime. Just give me a little notice ...

I truly love Macallan 12. It has one of the highest, if not the highest, quality/price ratios of any whisky I have tried. After paying for and tasting some malts, it's hard to believe Macallan can make a scotch that good for that price.

John
    John, the wee lass bought that MacAllan for me right out of the blue! Gotta love that girl. She's gonna need to buy me another one soon.

Keep stickin around John, it will be a few years before we get released...

Frank
    Ne Obliviscaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
    John, the wee lass bought that MacAllan for me right out of the blue! Gotta love that girl. She's gonna need to buy me another one soon.

Keep stickin around John, it will be a few years before we get released...

Frank
    Frank: You need to give the wee lass a big hug. I plan to stick around as long as the Good Lord is willing, .. but I ain't gettin' any younger.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be more that glad to give the wee lass a big hug John. She should be home directly too.

I understand about the God willing thing - I just turned 62!

Cheers!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Frank: You need to give the wee lass a big hug. I plan to stick around as long as the Good Lord is willing, .. but I ain't gettin' any younger.

John
    Ne Obliviscaris

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to frank_a For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or

Golden nectar indeed.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DryFly For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rebecca Creek Texas Whiskey. Made in the Texas Hill Country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talisker Storm, and great memories of the good friends that gave it to me.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DryFly For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spent most of last week in Nashville, Tennessee, also known as Whiskeyville, USA. Didn't do quite as much tasting as I coulda/shoulda/woulda, but did make some locally produced "discoveries" that impressed me enough that I may very well circle back to them in the near future:

1) Pritchards Single Malt--unpeated, pot-stilled, with a mostly barley mash bill. Not an exceptional amount of depth or complexity (although I admittedly watered it too much) but pleasingly light, smooth and fruity--like a Lowland Malt but not as grassy--and slightly more interesting than:

2) Pritchards Double Barrell, which has plenty of body and character but is in my opinion a wee bit too young and hot as yet to display its full potential (a common problem with small batch/hand-crafted American whiskies in general that is happily less tolerated by Scottish distillers--we've got the barrels, they've got the patience).

I sampled both of these at Whiskey Kitchen, which I strongly recommend (despite being noisy and crowded) for both the whiskey AND food menus.

3) Corsair Triple Smoke--all malted barley, fired by cherry wood, beech wood and peat. Had a double shot of it, at lunch while awaiting my meatloaf sandwich, at the Country Music Hall Of Fame And Museum and listening to a version of Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy" that I'd never heard before, which of course made the whole experience even better. Not quite as "deeply complex" --on my palate anyway--as its makers proclaim but definitely an intriguing, full-bodied and well-crafted American Whiskey/Single Malt Scotch "hybrid" attempt, perhaps sufficiently so to merit purchase of an actual bottle, if I can find it.

Very happy in general to see a notable presence of barley amid the corn and the rye.

Also saw not one, but two gents wearing kilts while I was there, which of course made me sorely regret that I didn't pack/wear one of mine, which I usually do when travelling. Someday I'll learn my lesson.....
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 10th November 14 at 11:31 PM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention the quintessential conundrum - "if I can find it". Do you know if Pritchards and Corsair export their product beyond the borders of Tennessee? I haven't seen them, ... but then again, I haven't looked for them. I'll keep my eyes open, when I'm in Santa Fe and Albuquerque. But, I'm not hopeful.

According to their web pages Corsair is unavailable in New Mexico and Pritchards doesn't list their distributors and shows nothing on their "Where to Buy" page. Oh my!, the trials and tribulations of the whisky tippler.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Page 52 of 102 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast