X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Old Grand Dad 114, with a bit of ice. No, not Scotch, but a barrel strength " High Rye" Kentucky "Straight" Bourbon, still produced by the descendants of Scots-Irish-Welsh emigrants, with as much sweetness and spice as any Highland lady, and more than enough fire to light your candle on a cold Midwinter's night anywhere--here in Chicago we are expecting a daytime high temperature of negative 20 degrees or so Fahrenheit in a day or so (and our kilted brothers in Canada are rightly rolling their eyes at that). If you can't find the 114 Proof, the 100 Proof Bonded is equally fine and usually an even more outstanding value. Water Of Life, Indeed.
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 27th January 19 at 11:20 PM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll have to be Laphroaig on this afternoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    I don't usually drink Irish Whiskey, but when I do, it is Bushmills.

I came across a new (to me at least) Irish whiskey a month or so ago, "Proper Twelve" and thoroughly enjoyed a glass.
    However it seems a if it's impossible to find retail here in Texas at present.
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last evening's was a wee dram of Kelpie, smuggled to me by a friend in a tiny, unlabeled tasting bottle. For tonight, I'm considering cracking open another tiny droplet, this one being a pretty little flask-shaped bottle of Loch Fyne Living Cask #4.

Same lovely friend (a red-headed lass, as it happens) also presented me with a full bottle of Perpetuum, but we'll have to crack that one together.

Slŕinte!

-Jack
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to share last weekend that the night of the Burns Supper I had an impromptu mini tasting tour of Scotland. I had four different scotches throughout the night that covered the four major scotch producing regions of Scotland.

I started with a Speyside - Glenlivet 12 yr. It was the smoothest and personal favorite of the evening, not a big surprise as I've had several of Glenlivet's offerings in the past and have enjoyed all of them.

Next up was an Islay - Ardbeg's standard 10 yr. Nice subtle fruit notes on the first sips, adding a tiny splash of water really opened up the peat flavor. This was the first I'd ever tried Ardbeg and while I liked it, in retrospect I wish I hadn't added the couple drops of water. I preferred it straight up. It was still peaty without being overpowering.

Third one was from the Highlands - Glenmorangie Original. I've had it before, though it had been quite a few years. It was OK, but not great. A bit harsh on the palette, but decent and somewhat complex flavor. This was my least favorite of the four I had that night, but nothing so bad that I wouldn't drink it again, it just wouldn't be my first pick.

In honor of the Bard of Ayrshire, I finished the night with one from the Lowlands - Auchentoshan Three Wood. This was a very close second behind the Glenlivet. Smooth, lightly sweet, with notes of toffee or butterscotch, and a delightful belly warmth to see me home.

Sláinte!
    Verbing weirds language.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our liquor store had a sale on Laphroaig 10 so I picked up a bottle. Have only tried a wee dram once and looking forward to getting to know it better.

Shane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Ardmore Legacy; not the most interesting dram I've tasted but a decent amount of peat and pretty good for a NAS.

Shane

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teacher's Highland Cream - yum!
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a long writing session in the studio tonight, we'd like to get this album out by mid-summer and the label bean counters coughed up enough scratch for a solid hour of music on the release. Which means Chango Malo needs to get busy with the pencils... So for tonight's brain lube the fiddle player brought along a bottle of Yellow Spot. I'll most heartily recommend giving it a taste when you get a chance.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whisky at 2019 Bethabara Highland Games Saturday, May 4

My sweetie, @carolinanan117, and I convened for Clan Sinclair at the 2019 Bethabara Highland Games Saturday in Winston-Salem, NC USA. I had wee drams of Old Pulteney 12, Highland Park 12, Glenlivet 12, Dalwhinnie 15, Auchentoshan 12, and Auchentoshan 18. Needless to say, it was a very successful Games.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast