X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 79 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you look up Dewars it isn't given that it's gluten free and he does get a slight rash after drinking it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    According to https://www.celiac.com/articles/222/...es/Page1.html:

Nearly all whiskeys are made with gluten-containing cereal grains. The final product does not contain gluten, but cannot be advertised or labeled as gluten-free. Many people with celiac disease choose to avoid whiskey, while many others drink it with no adverse effects.

Gluten-free whiskey brands include:

Queen Jennie Whiskey, by Old Sugar Distillery is made entirely from sorghum (But if it's sorghum-based, wouldn't that technically make it rum, not whisky?)

Whiskeys distilled from cereal grains include:

Bourbon—Benjamin Prichard's, Booker's, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Early Times, Ezra Brooks, Jefferson's Bourbon, Knob Creek, Makers Mark, Old Crow, Old Forester, Old Grand-Dad
    Canadian Whiskey—Alberta Premium, Black Velvet, Canadian Club, Crown Royal,
    Tenesse Whiskey—Jack Daniels, George Dickel.
    Irish Whiskey—Bushmills, Jameson, Kilbeggan, Redbreast, Tullamore Dew
    Japanese Blended Whiskey—Hibiki, Kakubin, Nikka,
    Japanese Single Malt Whiskey—Hakushu, Yamazaki, Yoichi
    Rye Whiskey—Alberta Premium, Bulleitt
    Scotch Whiskey Blends—Ballentine's, Bell's, Black Grouse, Chivas Regal, Cutty Sark, Dewar's, Famous Grouse, Johnnie Walker, Teacher's, Whitehorse
    Scotch Whiskey Single Malts—Bowmore, Glenfiddich, Glen Grant, The Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Highland Park, Knockando, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Macallan, Monkey Shoulder, Singleton, Talisker
    Taiwanese Whiskey—Kavalan Classic

All that said, I personally am very fond of the Nardini Risirva Grappa Classic range of barrel-aged grappas (http://www.nardini.it/en/grappa-rise...rrel-aged.html), which may not have the full depth and complexity of comparable Single Malts but otherwise very much remind me of them.
    Last edited by DyerStraits; 15th September 17 at 12:10 PM.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tonight i enjoyed Macallan 12. quite impressed.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Crawdaddyjc For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This past Saturday, at the Scotland County Highland Games (in Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA), in the Clan Sinclair tent, my Quaich was charged with many drams of Old Pulteney 12, Old Pulteney 17, Old Pulteney 21, and Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask. I went 'a Scotching' and had Auchentoshan American Oak with Clan Maxwell, Talisker 10 and Talisker Storm with Clan Hay, and Dalwhinnie 15 and Caol Ila 12 with Clan Macintosh. Convening at these Highland Games can be a brutal business, but somebody's got to do it.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just returned

We have just returned from a month's visit to Scotland then down to Devon, Cornwall and Somerset.
    I always look forward to visiting the World Whisky Shop at Heathrow and I wasn't disappointed with this visit.....I bought a bottle of Laphroaig Brodir, a lovely port cask finished expression that is totally different from Laphroaig's usual offerings. The second bottle was a full litre of Taliskar's Dark Storm...... last night on the occasion of a very dear friends visit we broached both bottles........GLORIOUS, TRULY GLORIOUS. Now that might seem like high praise but for those of you who truly do enjoy Good Single Malts, you will understand my praise. The first was from Islay and the second from the Isle of Skye....Sláinté Mhor..........oh! and a Happy Canadian Thanks Giving to you all

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    This past Saturday, at the Scotland County Highland Games (in Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA), in the Clan Sinclair tent, my Quaich was charged with many drams of Old Pulteney 12, Old Pulteney 17, Old Pulteney 21, and Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask. I went 'a Scotching' and had Auchentoshan American Oak with Clan Maxwell, Talisker 10 and Talisker Storm with Clan Hay, and Dalwhinnie 15 and Caol Ila 12 with Clan Macintosh. Convening at these Highland Games can be a brutal business, but somebody's got to do it.
    Oh Well done. You've knocked them all for 6 Heh! heh!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is still surprisingly warm in Canada, and I seem to be drawn to my Scotches more once the weather has cooled. But in light of the fact that this is the Thanksgiving weekend, and we were spending some family time (in between our game of Monopoly and some movie watching) I ventured to the cupboard and reached for my bottle of Famous Grouse, my standard stock blended scotch. The single malts I tend to reserve for more special occasions, but I always enjoy Famous Grouse for a little tipple. My son also joined me in a glass.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Redhead presented me with this to commemorate my completion of another trip around the sun.

It is absolutely wonderful. Being matured in "first fill" casks it is very light (in color and flavor) and subtle, even at cask strength.

Like the Plaid Preacher said, I'm more drawn to Scotch in cooler weather, but I think I've found a warm weather Scotch.
    Tulach Ard

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASinclair View Post
    If Clan Sinclair ever has any vacancies, I'm applying. Just ordered a bottle of Old Pulteney 12. Not to replace my Highland Park, but as a nice contrast.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	32190

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Appalachia For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh, Dalwinnie 15. That's my dram this evening