X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgacus View Post
    I would have thought that since the act of clicking on the link to Photobucket navigates the user away from the X-Marks website, any content (other than that directly linked to) would not be covered by the rules.

In other words, if I link to a Photobucket picture here, I must abide by the rules with regards to that photo because I am posting a link to and/or displaying a copy of that image here on X-Marks. Once a user follows that link to Photobucket, they are 'outside the jurisdiction' of X-Marks, and my images must abide by the rules of Photobucket instead.

That would be my interpretation of the situation anyway, though of course the Moderators may correct me.
    That is my thinking too. But knowing how inordinately touchy------ I do speak from long and first hand experience here------ the mods and the owner of this website are on "Rule 11" subjects, for example, it must understandably, raise a question for them. There are other more "adult type" pictures that could possibly be accessed through this route, so the situation does raise wider questions, I think.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th October 13 at 08:18 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until recently I always linked to Photobucket. My pictures there do not have any tags or titles so it is highly unlikely that anyone would find them by searching the internet. It is true though that you could click on an xmarker's photo and be linked to their photobucket account where you could in theory view their other photos if these have not been set as private.
    Recently I have had difficulty uploading to Photobucket and have linked to my Flickr account which is a public account, with titles and tags, which anyone can access directly from the internet. Indeed I have included a link to that account in my signature. I do however have some photos on Flickr set as family only which means that only myself and my Canadian cousins who are Flickr members are able to view them. I suspect many of us will have something in our Photobucket or Flickr accounts which, although family friendly, would not be compliant with the xmarks rules, for example photos involving religion, politics and firearms. In my opinion, there would only be a rules violation if you are linking DIRECTLY from here to these photos or encouraging people to go searching for them on your photostream
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 24th October 13 at 05:42 AM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Are the managent here(xmarks) going to be upset at the "rule 11" content there? Talking more widely, what about assorted rule breaking pictures stored in good faith on other members photobucket accounts, that could be accessed via the similar route? ----- Just wondering?
    Jock, I think that once any of us click and leave XMarks and go to your Photobucket, we are then under the rules of Photobucket and what you have chosen to share. Just as if there is a link to a BBC story that has a sidebar featuring some rule 11 topic.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock,
    I'm not an "internet lawyer" but I'm 100% with California Highlander here.
    As long as they don't link DIRECTLY to objectionable content they should be safe to post.

I think we're all big lads here and understand that the internet is a bit like the jungle,
    if you go off the path whatever you discover is at your own risk.

You can always restrict permissions on your various photos and folders to either 'private' or with password protection.

I use both for various in-development project pictures that I only wish Commissioners to see.

ith:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, I'm NOT speaking as a member of the moderation team here, merely as an individual, but I for one would not be upset thereby. For your own peace of mind, go check your privacy settings (knowing that these sites sometimes change their policies after the fact - something I find offensive) and then let it rest. I doubt if anybody would be likely to file a complaint, and if in the unlikely situation that they do, we'll see what happens.

Go have a shot of whisky!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you copy a link directly from photobucket using the HTML or IMG field that they provide, they also include a link to the picture on Photobucket.
    [URL=http://s225.photobucket.com/user/jockscot07/media/willsoldpictures261.jpg.html]
    [IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd33/jockscot07/willsoldpictures261.jpg[/IMG]
    [/URL]

If you'd want to just show the image, you can just use the stuff in the IMG tags:
    [IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd33/jockscot07/willsoldpictures261.jpg[/IMG]

Or copy the address from the "direct" field in Photobucket and paste it in the "Insert image" function here.

Here are the differences:

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Llama For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by California Highlander View Post
    Jock, I think that once any of us click and leave XMarks and go to your Photobucket, we are then under the rules of Photobucket and what you have chosen to share. Just as if there is a link to a BBC story that has a sidebar featuring some rule 11 topic.
    If a question in the form of a flag were brought in front of the moderators, I cannot say for certain (because every situation tends to be unique and oftentimes issues are not quite so black and white), but I would probably be inclined to interpret things this way.

But that also brings up other questions too, which may be best left unspoken, as I don't wish to get started on a different track or derail the thread. Simply put, however, in THIS situation I don't think there is a problem. (My personal opinion - not a mod decision)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright as I read the replies, it seems that as long as I spare the blushes of "my Granny"------mine too------ and don't blatently "peddle" pictures on my photobucket account other than the one published on this website, then all should be well. I do note the caution in the way two of the mods (in a private capacity) answered the question though. Hummm, interesting that. Nevertheless, as I do store my more personal pictures elsewhere, I have personally no real concern what happens to my pictures on photobucket as they are there to publish on a website(any website) such as this, as and when the occasion appears.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th October 13 at 01:45 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, the caution is merely that I have no control over others who may or may not post flags, nor over the process that the Mods use to decide (the process is already decided when there's a flag) nor over the opinions of the other Mods. Neither do I know in advance the particulars of a situation that is to date merely hypothetical. I do, however know what is my best guess, so that's what I express.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock ,

I know what you are saying about others being able to view one's Photobucket pics , I too noticed this .

After you login to Photobucket , you should be on the Photobucket Home page and you will notice your username appear on the top bar of info , your username will be over on the right . ( not your name as it appears in the body of the page but on the info bar above )

1. Click on your name and you will see an option of " settings " .

2. Click on " settings " and you will go to a page that will allow you to select " privacy " .

3. On the " privacy " page you can check and uncheck certain boxes that pertain to the level of privacy of your pictures .

4. Also , on that same page towards the bottom you will notice an option that will allow you to make the whole Photobucket album private .

This should take care of making your pics private . The default settings on Photobucket make everything public unless one goes in and changes the settings .

Hope this helps .

Cheers , Mike
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 26th October 13 at 12:07 AM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast