X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read, historically the sgian duhb came into use during the period Scots were forbidden to be armed. It was carried concealed on ones person and the custom of wearing it in the hose was because it was considered bad manners to have a weapon concealed while among friends. It's original purpose was a weapon for self defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Where did it say anyhting about it being used as an eating utensil? The dirks do come with a knife and fork, not sgian dubhs http://216.71.156.105/product538.html"

I don't know about anybody else but I am growing weary of this topic. I don't know if there is a literacy problem in BC or what the problem is.

If you are going to attack someone's post, at least have the courtesy and intelectual integrity to READ it. Each and every one of Alaskan's references support his hypothesis.

I suspect that the dirk shown in your post is ment to be an ornamental or decorative accessory, "jewlery" if you will, not meant to provide any utilitarian function. I have NEVER seen (in my family) nor heard of any of my kin having had a dirk like that...what function the little attachments had I don't have a clue; our oral history says that dirks were "checked" at the door, but "sknees" (what my Mom called them)were allowed in with the guests (are the little knife and fork detachable?)

On a side note (and perhaps as a diversion )Family history says that the length of one's dirk was a personal thing (don't get sexual on me guys )it was the distance from the tip your longest finger to the bend of your elbow (same as a cubit)...can anyone verify this...are there any "weapons" experts out there...I wonder if it had anything to do with leverage,as the dirk was used mainly for fighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the dirk was carried in the targ hand as an adjunct to the targ and an auxilliary to the sword, along with a detatchable spike on the targ center.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about anybody else but I am growing weary of this topic. I don't know if there is a literacy problem in BC or what the problem is.
    Alaskan Celt, I would not dream of insulting others on this board, or the communities they live in. We all have different ideas and perceptions and we are free to voice them. Please do not talk down to others for their post as it is disrepectful.

I was not attacking Alaskan's post or his claims. I only found one reference to the a utensil and that was regarding women using a sheathed knife. All I was stating was that there is no rule book for kilts or accessories. If you have this book, please feel free to share it with the rest of us.

Alaskan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin, in my first post it said: "It is believed by many that this is the same knife, Scottish women carried under the apron of her wraparound "kilted" skirt, along with her purse. Just as with men, they would have to carry their own eating utensil, and many a Scots woman had a need for a weapon. "
    Please read attatched pages before commenting on them.

I never said that I would use it as an eating utensil. Please read the posts. What I said was that it was not originally designed as a weapon. It is a tool. I would use it the same way I use pocket knives I put in my pocket when wearing pants. For the kind of tasks that have been mentioned many times by myself and others in this thread already.

"As far as a sgian dubh being seen as a part of a national dress and not as a weapon, it really does depend on where and how you are wearing it."
    Please read the posts. You will see I have been saying exactly that. How many times in this thread have I said that the laws vary depending on where you are? Many people have made statements such as "it is illegal" without qualifying it properly with something like "where I live."

"Everyone will wear and see them differently."
    Again, that is something I have already been saying. You are telling me things I have been saying throughout this thread like it is supposed to be a revelation for me. Please read the posts. You will see that I was arguing against Bear's assertion that people who don't think about the sgian dubh the way he does should leave it at home. I never said that everyone should wear one, I said that other people should not tell people that they shouldn't wear one, or make statements about laws without saying where those laws apply.

Bubba, if you say "here" to mean the US when speaking nationally, since this is an international forum I would say that in the post where you said "The law here" it sounds like you are talking about a law about knife length for the US, which doesn't exist.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting about the dirk length - a cubit, when on a job and stuck for a tape measure I often use cubits, I always have my arms with me even if I forget a ruler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't disagreeing with you on must points.

In all fairness to Bear his sgian dubh is nothing like mine. I have a nice ornamental sgian dubh for formal occasions. It's an expensive leeter opener. Bear has a beautiful custom made sgian dubh that is one mean looking weapon.

Alaskan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Alaskan Celt, I would not dream of insulting others on this board, or the communities they live in. We all have different ideas and perceptions and we are free to voice them. Please do not talk down to others for their post as it is disrepectful.
    Colin, Alaskan Celt is new to this forum, and although his comment may have been offsides, with Bear saying things like "Is that simple enough for you?" and "I can't tell when you are being deliberately obtuse." and "Do you know what ethnocentric means?" (When I obviously did) and "yaaawn." he may have been mislead as to the level of manners we usually show on this forum. I don't like the fact that you are telling a newcomer to this forum how we are supposed to behave when he was simply following the lead of others on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attitude was coming from both sides from the begining of this interlude. I was only expressing my dissatisfaction at having that attitude directed at me, as I have not shown it to others. One of the main premises of boards like this is to show mutual respect to the other members, new or old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am sick of this topic...sorry.
    Beannacht Dé,
    Hank
    "...it's the ocean following in our veins, cause its the salt thats in our tears..."

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567