X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See this prior thread for my experiences a couple years ago and a lot of good ideas.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-kloset-65986/

I use cedar oil on my cedar blocks and balls and any cedar planking in my closet, keep all woolies in plastic or breathable bug proof garment bags--try walmart or target---and wool caps in plastic storage containers, hose in storage drawers. All have blocks or balls of cedar in with them that get the cedar oil treatment once or twice a year, depending on how often they are opened. I even keep my fur sporrans in semi sealed containers to keep the buggers at bay.

good luck. get clean then stay clean.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ForresterModern For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just discovered a couple of Carpet Beetle larvae that my youngest probably brought back from his nan's last week. Will be refreshing my cedar balls pretty damn fast!!!
    Martin.
    AKA - The Scouter in a Kilt.
    Proud, but homesick, son of Skye.
    Member of the Clan MacLeod Society (Scotland)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Any good leads on good-quality garment bags, hopefully moth-proof?

I keep my kilts in a big plastic bin, with dozens of those evil-smelling mothballs.
    I use breathable, canvas garment bags in an off-white/cream colour and keep fresh cedar blocks inside of the bag with my kilt, tweed jackets/waistcoats, and barathea/velvet doublets. My Highland wardrobe is all hung (with exeption of accessories, which are stored in clear, plastic storage containers), on high-quality wooden hangers in a cool, dry and dark closet. I have never had any problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    A few days in the freezer will kill off eggs and larvae, just place in a plastic bag or paper sack and then store in something which is, hopefully, mothproof. I use those storage bags which can be closed and the air sucked out.
    Somewhat related, for those lacking sufficient freezer space, is use of dry ice -- not to freeze the wee buggers, though, but to gas them:

http://www.continentalcarbonic.com/g...-of-moths.html
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to just keep my wool clothing in a cedar lined closet. But the cedar in there was put in over 20 years ago. I don't know if it's still effective. Now I keep things in garment bags with fresh cedar blocks. My kilt is hung inside a cotton pillow case with its own cedar block, inside a larger garment bag

Still, reading through this thread it has become apparent to me that I am not doing all that I could be doing. Getting some relatively airtight storage bins and some more cedar blocks is in order. Not just for my wool kilt, but all of my wool clothing

I am on the lookout for some of those canvas garment bags that Kyle espouses. Anything to keep my kilt as nice as new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Some days you're the bat, some days you're the watermelon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please beware of "moth-balls". I was warned by Kathy Lare that they can be hazardous to kilt makers. She explained that one of the people that help her became ill after pressing pleats on a kilt that was in for alteration.
    If you do use them, be sure to inform anyone that works on your kilt.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikilt View Post
    I am on the lookout for some of those canvas garment bags that Kyle espouses. Anything to keep my kilt as nice as new.
    You can find them pretty much anywhere, like Walmart or Target. I bought several for my kilts and tweed jackets, and they come in a range of sizes (short for jackets, or long for dresses). They're fairly inexpensive, all things considered, and offer good protection against moths while still being breathable. The only place moths can find their way in is at the top where the hangers protrude through. But you can also find cedar disks that are meant to go around the wire part of the hanger (just below the hook), which is great for keeping moths away from the opening.

I think these are the garment bags I have. The side-zipper is a bit of a pain for getting items in and out, but I also have a couple of older ones with front zippers.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    You can find them pretty much anywhere, like Walmart or Target. I bought several for my kilts and tweed jackets, and they come in a range of sizes (short for jackets, or long for dresses). They're fairly inexpensive, all things considered, and offer good protection against moths while still being breathable. The only place moths can find their way in is at the top where the hangers protrude through. But you can also find cedar disks that are meant to go around the wire part of the hanger (just below the hook), which is great for keeping moths away from the opening.

I think these are the garment bags I have. The side-zipper is a bit of a pain for getting items in and out, but I also have a couple of older ones with front zippers.
    That's the garment bag I have. Cedar discs are fantastic idea as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to just keep my wool clothing in a cedar lined closet. But the cedar in there was put in over 20 years ago. I don't know if it's still effective. Now I keep things in garment bags with fresh cedar blocks. My kilt is hung inside a cotton pillow case with its own cedar block, inside a larger garment bag
    You can always empty the closet, get out the sander and run it over the lining. A bit of relatively fine sandpaper will refresh the cedar by bringing up a new surface.

-Don

Still, reading through this thread it has become apparent to me that I am not doing all that I could be doing. Getting some relatively airtight storage bins and some more cedar blocks is in order. Not just for my wool kilt, but all of my wool clothing

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Aussie_Don For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of moth balls and moth crystals, I couldn't take the stench any longer! I was told that scented candles or new soap would do the trick. The perfume being too much for the wee beasties. Well, it's simple. Step 1.) Designate a closet with a door that closes properly. 2.) Open the candles and peal the new soap out of their wrapper and put up on a high shelf to dry out. New candles don't last more than a year or so, but as the soap dries it keeps giving off its scent keeping the bugs at bay. Don't put the soap directly on any wollen as it will stain. You can use any sort of bar soap you like as long as it's scented. The heavier scented, the better. I've got probably 10 bars of soap up there and it's still working. And so what if I smell like a bar of soap for a few hours after putting it on. It's a lot easier on the nose than moth balls. Oh yeah, you want to keep the door closed at all times as well . . . natch!

I know there are online services that can reweave/patch holes, but I've never met anyone that teaches it. I'd give it a try myself if the wool were heavy enough and not too dark, but I shudder to think of the time commitment for just one hole. Heaven forbid if you have a life and had to work this kind of thing into spare time.

Meanntachd!,

Jon
    Only 9 notes. How hard could it be?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast